Punkin Chunkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was just wondering how many people on this forum attend the annual World Championship Punkin Chunkin in Delaware? I've been there for the past 6 years and it's the greatest party weekend ever. I actually met a fellow homebrewer there last year and in a late night drunk conversation, he convinced me to go AG with one of his pumpkin beers. Thank you to whoever you were! Looking forward to meeting some of you there. This year I'll be the one with a cooler full of AG homebrew!

When is it??

I went last year, and although it was interesting, I think the big crowd is really ruining things. They follow right behind the cannon firing in throngs of a thousand and stop right in front of people who've been standing there having a good time and hanging out.

I should camp out, but damn if it's not cold. :p

If we get enough people on here to do a meet and swap and hang out, I could be swayed into going again.

I'd be totally down for a meet and swap. I've been camping for the past 6 years, and yeah it's cold! It's great though. I can't remember the last year that I saw more than like 5 machines launch. I've been too busy partying and hanging out with people! Let's get this going HBT!

I would love to take the camper down for the weekend, but I will be in the mix of a huge project for work around then. I found out that I actually know one of the guys that is on a team that has won the catapult class a few times.

When is it??

I went last year, and although it was interesting, I think the big crowd is really ruining things. They follow right behind the cannon firing in throngs of a thousand and stop right in front of people who've been standing there having a good time and hanging out.

I should camp out, but damn if it's not cold. :p

If we get enough people on here to do a meet and swap and hang out, I could be swayed into going again.

But isn't that the point, to watch the cannons fire? Can you explain what you mean? I have never been to one.

It is, but you can watch from side angles, behind them, whatever.

The problem is just this MASS of hundreds "following" the cannons and making what would otherwise be a nice leisurely walk and stand and talk into a full on war for the spot you are standing in.

If everyone just chilled out, watched from 20, 30, flipping 50' away, it'd all be good and everyone could see what they wanted. Instead, everyone crowds around so you have to look over or around anyone to even see what's going on when all you REALLY see is a white puff of air escaping the cannon and MAYBE a little dot flying.

Trust me, on TV-- you see about 500x the action than you do in real life.

It is, but you can watch from side angles, behind them, whatever.

The problem is just this MASS of hundreds "following" the cannons and making what would otherwise be a nice leisurely walk and stand and talk into a full on war for the spot you are standing in.

If everyone just chilled out, watched from 20, 30, flipping 50' away, it'd all be good and everyone could see what they wanted. Instead, everyone crowds around so you have to look over or around anyone to even see what's going on when all you REALLY see is a white puff of air escaping the cannon and MAYBE a little dot flying.

Trust me, on TV-- you see about 500x the action than you do in real life.

I guess I would need to go and see for myself to comment. Yeah, the pushing, shoving and racing to get to the next cannon would seem annoying but I can understand wanting to get as close to each as they fire as possible if you are really into the mechanics of it all which to me is what the event appears to be about. The party atmosphere is fine if that is how you want to witness the event but not really what the event is about I guess. I would be one of those trying to see each one fire as close as I could if it were allowed.

Reminds me of going to watch a shuttle launch. As soon as the busses started I tried to get on the first one so I could find the best spot. No matter who got in front of me I still had the best spot. People walked by and said "Man, you got a good spot". My whole day there evolved around that planning. And if there were another launch that day I would have done the same again. I am one of those mechanical geeks that would be more interested in seeing things up and close as opposed to camping out in one spot hanging out to socialize.

Yeah, TV works fine for me. I did see it there once.

The parties at night are outstanding. People come from all over to hang out and you really make some interesting friends there. I have never had a problem with pushing or shoving because I always distance myself. Like someone said, you can see the machines launch from quite a distance. I always feel like it's better to see them from about 40 or so feet away.

Back