Diacetyl Rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatboy

Reaction score
I'm in the midst of a 65 degree diacetyl rest on my newest own-recipe lager (S23 yeast). Tomorrow, I will slowly start lowering the temperature to the 32-33 degree range. I'm not sure when to bottle, and how to handle the temperature when I do. Need a little help.

Thanks - Paul - proprieter of the wheat ham marinade.

let it sit @ 65 for a 2-3 days, then rack, and start lowering by about 2 degrees a day until you reach 30-32 degrees. let it sit at 30-32 degrees for at least 4 weeks, 6-8 if you can wait. then bottle as normal and let condition at room temp for at least 2 weeks. when you rack to the bottling bucket and add priming sugar or dme, be sure to drag the racking cane along the bottom of the secondary to stir up enough yeast to carbonate properly. or, you can add some dry yeast at bottling.
happy waiting!

You have been a great help. On that wheat clove marinade - she's been sitting in my lagering freezer at 66-65 degrees for a few weeks (started this batch 4-6 weeks ago) and now I think I should bottle and put away for a long time. Should I pitch some dry S32 and priming sugar to bottle?

Thanks - Paul

hey, that's what we're here for!
i've never bottled a lager. all mine have been kegged and force carbonated. as you rack to the bottling bucket, add the priming sugar and yeast in intervals as it fills up, for even distribution throughout the beer. i don't know if i would use a whole packet of dry yeast? might be too much. check w/ your HBS and see how much they'd use. give it a gentle stir with a cleaned & sanitized spoon as you add each, AND BE CAREFUL NOT TO SPLASH OR INTRODUCE ANY OXYGEN. i'd opt for dragging the racking cane along the sediment to stir up some yeast, but either will work.

BTW, do you ever feel like your waiving a big American flag in the middle of the Red Square being a homebrewer in St. Louis? :~)

Actually - Here's a good one. I called AB and complained about a rusty cap on a bottle of beer. Sent me a T-shirt, in the right size for an X-mas gift for someone who would drink it.

HA! that's classic. at least the ysent u something. i would have figured they would have snubbed you off.........
wear it when you cut the yard or change the oil in the car :~)

my neighbors would see me wearing it. the same ones who keep stopping by for Real Beer....

Lager is now at about 56 degrees, going to 54 today. Still has some bubbles on top, but you don't actually observe any rising - at least not standing on your head in the deep-freeze.

Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the Wheat Meat Marinade. I was thinking of mixing in a little corn sugar - to see if the yeast is still active - and let it sit again until the fermentation is complete. Then, if there is activity, I will prime and rack on the original yeast - otherwise - I'll have to re-pitch - let it eat up the test corn sugar - wait - then rack with priming sugar.

We'll see.

Thanks dude - Paul

sounds like it's on track. just be patient with it, and follow the schedule. your beer will thank you for it!

hhmmm? have your tried it on the ham yet? :~)

Yeast was still happy and is now making more of those wonderful little bubbles.... I'll prime and bottle her in a week or so - then store in the cooler for about 2-3 months before tasting again....

Hasn't been on a ham yet, but I know at least one bottle will sacrifice itself for this purpose.

Back