Northern Brewer Milwaukee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, it looks like it was updated...
"The 11,000-square foot space, located at 1306 S 108th Street"

Later it still says...
"The exact address of the Milwaukee store has yet to be announced".

Agreed, awesome.

Though I have to say we are already blessed with several homebrew stores in the area. I'm curious what kind of impact this will have on them. By my count, there's 7 others within 45-60 minute drive.

========================
Milwaukee Area Home Brew Shops
========================
Home Brewing Depot - West Allis
The Purple Foot - West Allis (I think)
Market Basket - Brookfield
Brew n Grow - Brookfield
Frugal HomeBrewer - Waukesha

And a bit further...
Bitter Creek Homebrew - Slinger
Cedarburg Homebrew and Wine - Cedarburg

I'm one of the new employees of this location, I'm so excited! It's going to be great! I saw the inside briefly during my interview, and it's a great amount of space.

I'm one of the new employees of this location, I'm so excited! It's going to be great! I saw the inside briefly during my interview, and it's a great amount of space.

Lucky dog! That'd be a great place to work.

My buddy (who lives in Milwaukee), was jealous that I go right by NB in St. Paul on my way home from work....now he's getting what sounds like a nicer store than the original NB!! (Plus he lives about 5 minutes south of Greenfield on Hwy. 100....so nice and close)

Yeah, I'm really excited about it. The only problem now is that I need a place to live! My wife and I are living in the Chicago burbs now, but if any Milwaukee residents have advice, it'd be much appreciated! We like the look and prices of River West, but have heard about the shootings too. Washington Heights seems neat too?

I live in riverwest and it is a great community. Those two shootings this summer were isolated incidents, sadly one of which took the life of an aquaintance. I can say though that ever since I moved to this side of town I have had nothing but great neighbors and good times. Also a plus is that there are a lot of homebrewers in this area I know of 3 within walking distance from my place. Also one of the guys who home brews here gives anyone who wants hops rhizomes just so that they will grow and all will have more hops, but he also hosts the community graden so he is kinda giving like that. Just don't let those incidents influence your decision.

I live in riverwest and it is a great community. Those two shootings this summer were isolated incidents, sadly one of which took the life of an aquaintance. I can say though that ever since I moved to this side of town I have had nothing but great neighbors and good times. Also a plus is that there are a lot of homebrewers in this area I know of 3 within walking distance from my place. Also one of the guys who home brews here gives anyone who wants hops rhizomes just so that they will grow and all will have more hops, but he also hosts the community graden so he is kinda giving like that. Just don't let those incidents influence your decision.

This is really helpful insight, and we really liked some of the places we saw in Riverwest. Ultimately, we went with a place in Bay View, and we're really excited. It seems like it will be a lot of fun.

We're really gearing up to get going at the new location. It is going to be a really ultimate destination kind of place. I can't give away too much, but I also definitely encourage people to come to the grand opening.

Bay view is fun too. I have a good friend who grew up there and he compares where I live now (riverwest) to where Bay View when he was growing up. Also if you like good beer stop by the sugar maple they have the best selection in town. Also I will be stopping in for the grand opening, but is there maybe a soft opening that isn't advertised yet?

Bay view is fun too. I have a good friend who grew up there and he compares where I live now (riverwest) to where Bay View when he was growing up. Also if you like good beer stop by the sugar maple they have the best selection in town. Also I will be stopping in for the grand opening, but is there maybe a soft opening that isn't advertised yet?

Depends on what you mean by best selection. If you want to go REALLY upscale, go to the Palm Tavern. It's owned by the same people who own the Sugar Maple....but it has some of the crazier beers out there. Lots of insane Belgiums, for one.

I don't want to give too much away, but there maay be a soft opening, probably the Monday before the grand opening party. That said, there will likely be discounts on everything during the grand opening, and there will definitely be cool guest speakers, like people with these last names: "Zain***eff," "Blich**nn," and "Sto*k". So yeah, it's going to be badass. 80+ types of grain, white labs, wyeast, demo kitchen, just everything awesome.

so if we were to drive by that monday would there be an open sign so someone wouldn't feel like a moron trying to walk in to a non open store?

Agreed, awesome.

Though I have to say we are already blessed with several homebrew stores in the area. I'm curious what kind of impact this will have on them. By my count, there's 7 others within 45-60 minute drive.

========================
Milwaukee Area Home Brew Shops
========================
Home Brewing Depot - West Allis
The Purple Foot - West Allis (I think)
Market Basket - Brookfield
Brew n Grow - Brookfield
Frugal HomeBrewer - Waukesha

And a bit further...
Bitter Creek Homebrew - Slinger
Cedarburg Homebrew and Wine - Cedarburg

That is an amazing amount of homebrew stores located so close to each other. I am jealous. I have good HBS's, but they are an hour to get there one way.

so if we were to drive by that monday would there be an open sign so someone wouldn't feel like a moron trying to walk in to a non open store?

I'm not sure, but if you walk in and we're not open, we'll probably give you a poster and let you know when we will be open. We won't make you feel like a moron, I promise.

Why wouldnt they put this in a big city that needs a good homebrew store.

There was plenty of research put into this decision. NB offers things other homebrew shops in the area can't/don't offer. We're also close enough to Chicago to offer something for people in that area.

I live in Fond du Lac, so for convience I usually buy from NB or AHB. I also stop in Slinger at a nice LHBS. But haveing a name like NB coming to Milwaukee is awsome news for me. Plus as an added bonus my sister-in-law works extremely close and can pick up things for me. I cannot wait to go!!!

So, would any of the grand opening specials be available in the Saint Paul store??????:) please, please

Good point. Jamil and another member of the brewing network are coming, as well as John Blichmann, and Curt Stock, NHC meadmaker of the year 2009. Pretty sure everything in-store will be 10% off. Wait till you guys see the killer grain room we're building

Jamil mentioned it on air that he would be at the grand opening. I'm thankful however that I live so far away. My beer supply expenses have almost outweighed my golf expenses this year. Plus they don't want some middle aged guy hanging out in the store all day like Norm from cheers.

Things are moving along nicely at NB, we're looking at a lot of work this coming week as we get everything ready for the opening. We won't be doing the soft opening, but the grand opening is shaping up to be really awesome! There's a full schedule on the NB website. We'll have lots of fancy gear and whatnot to ogle, plenty of grain, equipment, and all sorts of fermentables.

I am really excited. I am definatly going on saturday for the raffel, but also I want to get stuff for my holiday spiced ale. I hope the competition does bring down the prices of some things from the other lhbs, but I have a feeling I will support all equally. Also my boss/neighbor John said that him and his buddies were gonna go too. If you get a chance I will look for you there.

I'm heading up to Milwaukee for the grand opening tomorrow. I've got a good-sized shopping list, but the SWMBO said, "Get whatever you need". I'm not sure that I really should have carte blanche. At least I'm taking the small car. :D

Today was awesome! Tomorrow will also be awesome! If anyone on here needs anything, ask for Vaughn - that's me. Go team!

So I guess I am going to have to go home to visit my family more often in Milwaukee, and bring an extra suitcase when I do.

Great event! I wish the day would have permitted me to stay longer. Thank you to Northern Brewer and all the great people that showed up. I am really excited about the store. My friend bought the beginings of his brewery today and took advantage of the 10% off. Awesome!!! :mug:

Latest posts

Back