Reused fresh yeast, did I use the right stuff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbehr

Reaction score
I racked a batch to a secondary last night and pitched 1/2(about 120mL) cup of that yeast into a new batch of brew. I used the top layer in the picture and lightly swirled the jar before dumping thinking some of the yeast would have settled on top of the trub. I used mrmalty calc and slide the top bar pretty far to the left and the bottom pretty far to the right. I was hoping to see active signs of fermantation after about 8 hours but have not yet.(hopefully just need to be patient!)

Did I do this correctly, or is the yeast just the very thin layer where I have the red arrow?

yeast-1.jpg

The goal I believe is to collect a much thicker yeast slurry, like thin pancake batter. It looks to me like you started with too small a sample and did not have the volumes of needed yeast, and pitched yeasty water. Washing yeast in a jar usually gives a small amount of yeast to make a starter, to collect enough for an entire batch, try washing most of the cake next time.

What I do that is ultra simple is just to save about a third of the yeast cake in a zip lock bag, and repitch that into the next brew within say 10 days.

There is some yeast in all the layers.

The most of the yeast is the layer that you indicated with the arrow. If you did not pitch that you have way under pitched.

Do you still have the slurry? If so get that layer. If not get some more yeast. What was in the liquid is a very small amount.

I do still have the slurry in two bottle in the fridge. I tried to swirl the jar slightly before pitching but am thinking I did not get enough and it was basically yeasty water. I thought the bottom was all trub and that's the layer I did not want?

My main confusion is when mrmalty says say 120mL, how do I get that much yeast when there is only a fine layer in a jar? I know I could build a starter but from what I've been reading people say you can just repitch if using right away.

Well I added additional yeast tuesday night as there was a tiny tiny layer of krausen that didn't even spand the top of the carboy. It really took off after this, first pic is the next morning and second pic after work. It has been fermenting away like crazy @ 60-61 degrees. Have to rig up a swamp cooler today as I'm going away for 10 days.
1st.jpg

2nd.jpg

Have to rig up a swamp cooler today as I'm going away for 10 days.

If the majority of fermentation is complete, not sure I would bother with a swamp cooler. Fermentation temps are critical during "active / early" fermentation, once fermentation subsides, as it likely has at this point, not as critical. If you swamp cool, add a few capfulls of bleach, or you will return to an actual swamp... :)

I like the moving blanket and frozen soda bottle...

The most of the yeast is the layer that you indicated with the arrow. If you did not pitch that you have way under pitched.

Just to clarify, OP's red arrow is pointing at the thin liquid on top. He should have pitched the chunky stuff on the bottom.

If the majority of fermentation is complete, not sure I would bother with a swamp cooler. Fermentation temps are critical during "active / early" fermentation, once fermentation subsides, as it likely has at this point, not as critical. If you swamp cool, add a few capfulls of bleach, or you will return to an actual swamp... :)

I like the moving blanket and frozen soda bottle...

+1 for addition of bleach.

Back