Gnaughty Gnome Special Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
11.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Equal balance of biscuit, caramel and bittering hops.
I had two main objectives with this beer.

The first objective was that I wanted a good session bitter that I could brew as a substitute for the typical English pint that I used to drink in the pubs of southern England. This is not intended to knock anyone's socks off, make their lips pucker into their cranium or any other such thing. It is intended as a simple honest southern pub pint.

The second objective was to have the ability to brew this beer with as little reliance on the LHBS as possible. My intention was to be able to simply buy a sack of Maris Otter, a few pounds of hops and be good to go for a few brews. By washing yeast, buying the other ingredients from the local grocer store and home roasting the Maris Otter, I feel I have finally achieved my goal.

It is a very simple and basic recipe. It is very easy to tinker with to make it heavier or lighter according to tastes simply by adjusting the existing ingredients, and always turns out well.

The recipe as listed gives LHBS equivalents of the home roasted grain. The methods for roasting are listed below.

Recipe: Gnaughty Gnome
Brewer: T Clark
Style: Special/Best/Premium Bitter
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.50 gal
Boil Size: 12.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 11.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 81.25 %
1.00 lb Biscuit malt (See below for instructions (27.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) (Quaker quick oats) Grain 3.13 %
0.50 lb Crystal malt (160.0 SRM) (See below for hoime roast) Grain 3.13 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.8 IBU
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.0 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
2 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 6.25 %
2 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out 154F
Total Grain Weight: 15.00 lb

Roasting your 160L Crystal malt (My thanks to Dontman for this method)

You first need to hydrate the grain by soaking it for 24 hours in chlorine free water. You don't want to flood the grain, just use enough water to cover it. Keep an eye on it as it soaks. You may need to add water to make sure that the grain is saturating with water.

You will need an oven thermometer that can be set in the centre of your oven and seen through the door. DO NOT trust the temperature setting of your oven. It is a liar, and can really screw the process.

Then you basically will be mashing it in the husk. First drain, and then put the wet grain in the oven at ~160-165 for 3 hours in a casserole pan that keeps the grain bed depth at around 2 inches. Cover this pan with a cover or tin foil to keep the grain's moisture. This will convert the starch to sugar. EDIT: This is the most important step by far. If you do not properly convert the starch you will not have sugar to caramelize. For that reason you want to make sure the grain bed is actually between 155-165 degrees. Any warmer and the enzymes will get denatured and not convert the starch.

Then you will need to brown and caramelize this crystal malt. This is a pretty long process to get to 180l but it is well worth it. It will be the best Special B you ever had. First split the grain into 2 or more pans so that the grain depth is ~ 1 inch. Turn up the oven to 220. Stir the grain every half hour until the grain gets dry and crisp and starts to darken. Maybe 2 hours. (At this point you will have 15-20l crystal malt) To take this to 180l I would spritz with water now and moisten so that the grain will continue to caramelize. Raise the temp to 300. Over the course of an hour to 2 hours this grain will go through the progressing levels of lovibond darkness. Keep close track. When you hit around 80l raise the temp to 350 and watch carefully, stirring every 15 minutes or so until you get to a point that is approaching, but less roasted than Special B. It will continue to darken some out of the oven and it is always darker than you think. Always.

Total roast time will probably be in the 4-5 hour range.

The biscuit malt is much more simple.

60 mins at 300F. Just keep moving it around.

You've done it! Eureka! :rockin:

Yeah, Eureka!! :D.....Funny thing is, I just bottled my third repetition of this recipe today. I was gonna post the recipe for it after it had carbed if it was succesful and repeatable.......I just drank a full pint of it while I was bottling and I knew immediately I didn't need to wait. ;) As you can see from the notes, it is only 2 weeks in the fermenter. I intenended it to be drank young, but not THAT young! :eek:

I used your home-made crystal malt method recently. The beer is still fermenting, but the hydro sample tasted good. I'll give the biscuit a shot, next!

Thanks for posting this!

I used your home-made crystal malt method recently. The beer is still fermenting, but the hydro sample tasted good. I'll give the biscuit a shot, next!

Thanks for posting this!

DONTMAN"S crystal malt method. ;) I had tried all kinds of methods before, and those failures were the only thing that held things up. I can't thank him enough for that method. It rocks! :rockin:

I've been waiting for this recipe! I'll have to cook some malts to get ready for it. Do you wait the requisite 2 weeks after roasting the malts to brew with them?

And out of 6700+ posts, one about beer! :D

Looks like some good information on making dark British crystal. I'm going to try that out soon.

I've been waiting for this recipe! I'll have to cook some malts to get ready for it. Do you wait the requisite 2 weeks after roasting the malts to brew with them?

I keep trying, but my organisation sucks. It was about a week for the caramel. The biscuit is easier to organise and got the full two weeks.

I'm kinda nervous about posting this recipe. It may well be a lot less forward in all the ingredients than I'm used to seeing and tasting in American craft brews. Please, people....don't shoot the messenger! :)

I kow you've spent a lot of time tweaking this recipe and I feel like the experiments you've done might be of interest and help to all of us. Did you try this recipe, or similar, without the oats and brown sugar? Do you find the oats add any flavor or texture to the beer? Does the brown sugar change the flavor? I've brewed with both, but never tried a recipe with and without them to see what exactly it changes. I'm also curious about the two types of bittering hops. Did you find this added something to the beer?

Well done, Trev!

Me thinks a wiki page on home caramelizing is in order.

I kow you've spent a lot of time tweaking this recipe and I feel like the experiments you've done might be of interest and help to all of us. Did you try this recipe, or similar, without the oats and brown sugar? Do you find the oats add any flavor or texture to the beer? Does the brown sugar change the flavor? I've brewed with both, but never tried a recipe with and without them to see what exactly it changes. I'm also curious about the two types of bittering hops. Did you find this added something to the beer?

The oats is just something I added out of curiosity after many other experiments and i found that i liked. It makes it a little silkier, and can even be bumped up double without detriment.

I added the brown sugar to dry things out a little. It's mashed at 154F and has 160-170 Crystal, I wanted to keep that malty character, but also dry it out a bit to make it more quaffable. The brown sugar also adds some colour.

As for the bittering hops, I don't feel it's that important. I've used all sorts of figgles/EKG combos based on my supplies and it really doesn't seem to matter too much which hops i use for bittering.....In fact, I have found that thius recipe is quite forgiving to responsible changes in any of the ingredients.....I had a hard time choosing this exact recipe as the definitive one, and trying to judge the differences got me drunk a lot more often than I am accustomed to! :eek:

Looks good. I'll have to try this with the brown sugar and oats next time.

My base bitter recipe is remarkably similar without these two ingredients, which is cool because it means that I have been moving in the right direction to get a proper bitter.

Looks good. I'll have to try this with the brown sugar and oats next time. My base bitter recipe is remarkably similar without these two ingredients.

Yeah, like I said in the OP, it's a very basic recipe. I arrived at it independently, but I also realise there is nothing much new in it. It's maybe a bit more about the self reliance aspect than originality or complexity. :)

pssst...

what mash temp? 154°F? I'm doing this tomorrow with Victory malt and special b...

Yup! 154F Thanks for asking, I've edited the OP now.

Special B was what I originally used as the crystal in this recipe and it really turned things in the right direction for me. I listed it in the recipe as 160L crystal because that is what I now have with the home roasted MO. I hope you like it! :)

It's going to be my second brew of the day on the newly named "Learn to Homebrew Day."

I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit: hit all the numbers properly and 5.5 into the pail at 1.048.

It's maybe a bit more about the self reliance aspect than originality or complexity. :)

I still find it funny that we both arrived at this aspect of our brew process at the same time yet independently.

As far as the batch that I was doing at the same time as you were doing this, even with aging I'm finding that the homemade crystal malt is sweeter and caramel-ier than the store bought and that it is overwhelming the 34 IBUs I put in. I will tweak for that in the future but in the meantime I have boosted the CO2 volume to compensate..

I still find it funny that we both arrived at this aspect of our brew process at the same time yet independently.

As far as the batch that I was doing at the same time as you were doing this, even with aging I'm finding that the homemade crystal malt is sweeter and caramel-ier than the store bought and that it is overwhelming the 34 IBUs I put in. I will tweak for that in the future but in the meantime I have boosted the CO2 volume to compensate..

It's not really a coincidence. I had been trying for months with various home roasting methods for the crystal malt. I had a lot of disappointments and had to drink a lot of not so good beer. It was only when I used your crystallizing method that things finally came together for me, hence us both arriving at the same place together. Your method saved me a LOT of future heartache! :)

Edit: Yours was also 34 IBUs? Wow! now that IS a coincidence!

Thanks for this recipe and the details about crystallizing. I have to scale it down to 5.25 gals which I hope shouldn't be a problem. The Biscuit procedure, can you elaborate on 'moving it around? Should it be put in a baking dish 2-3 inches deep and stirred or on a cookie sheet, thin, and flipped around a lot? So you go right to 300, no mash, just roast on that? (Sorry to be such a grain newb)

Yup, you got it. Preheat the oven using the oven thermo. Spread the grain 2" deep on open trays and put in the center of the oven with the thermo on top of the grain. Rake the grain around every 5 or ten minutes and just keep an eye on it. Biscuit is really easy! :)

I've just tried this brew side by side with a bottled Fuller's ESB and Old Speckled Hen in a can. There was no reason to do this, as this beer is not based on either, in the slightest way.

The ESB and this brew are too different to make a comparison. Totally different flavours. I liked them both. No point in comparing the two though.

The Speckled Hen comparison was interesting though. The OSP has that stupid widget that ruins that beer for me. It smooths it out beyond recognition from the draught version.

As far as taste goes, the Gnaughty Gnome is more forward in hops and biscuit flavours. The OSH has a more subtle mouth feel due mainly to the widget. The OSH has a more earthy aftertaste, while the GG is somehow more robust in it's energy.

Did that make any sense at all? Probably not!! I REALLY need to learn how to do a proper description of beer!! :D

For what it's worth, I preferred GG to OSH (canned). I enjoyed GG and Fuller's ESB equally, but for different reasons.

Having said all that, GG was never intented to duplicate either of these beers in any way.

I'm really stuck in the bitter style - for me everything from ordinary to esb are extraordinary, it just fits my taste for beer.

Doesn't Fuller's have an unusual sweet taste to you? I've seen people use maize in their clones, I've not done the all grain clone but have the partial mash clone in my primary now. It has corn sugar in the recipe but I doubt that will contribute to any sweet taste... I guess it is just a more malty balance (I can't describe it right - I need to drink more..) I also heard from someone who said they toured Fullers brewery that they said they used caramelized sugar. What do you think? (as you're mashing away...)

I'm really stuck in the bitter style - for me everything from ordinary to esb are extraordinary, it just fits my taste for beer.

Doesn't Fuller's have an unusual sweet taste to you? I've seen people use maize in their clones, I've not done the all grain clone but have the partial mash clone in my primary now. It has corn sugar in the recipe but I doubt that will contribute to any sweet taste... I guess it is just a more malty balance (I can't describe it right - I need to drink more..) I also heard from someone who said they toured Fullers brewery that they said they used caramelized sugar. What do you think? (as you're mashing away...)

Yeah, it was probably a mistake for me to even mention Fuller's ESB in this thread as it is so different to what I was going for. Yes. I agree that Fuller's has a very different taste to most special bitters. It's somewhat cleaner in a fruity way than what I was aiming for.

er, Just forget i ever mentioned Fuller's! :D

This brew is intended more as a standard/special pub bitter. Just a basic southern brew. :)

I guess i could post the comparison pic between Gnaughty Gnome (left) and Speckled Hen (Right)

The GG is only 1 week in the bottle, so it's just slightly more cloudy that the OSH

I'll say it again though, i was not going for a Speckled hen clone. However, if you like Speckled Hen, then you will probably like GG too. :)

beer26.jpg

I know what I was going to ask... if you had some London (1028) or some ESB (1968) Weast around which would you use in place of the notty? Or just stick to the notty?

To be honest, i'm not familiar with either so i dunno. When playing with this recipe I only tried Nottingham and SO-4 because I wanted to have one of the most easily available dry yeast strains to be in keeping with the notion of making it really easy to get the ingredients list together.

Back