Have to move... what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustang64

Reaction score
My mead is still fermenting away in primary and it turns out i have to move in a month and a half. I will only be moving across town but I cant imagine there are any easy ways to move a 6 gallon carboy full of mead is there? I have the same problem with 3gal wine and 6gal cider...

Moving shouldn't hurt it at all. I'd get a milk crate though, then put it in that for carrying purposes. Try putting on the floorboard of the passenger seat of your car or just strap it in with a seat belt. Drive with caution.

W/O a doubt I'd get a milk crate to avoid handling accidents

:mug:

EDIT: I just noticed you have a 6 gal, I'd measure the diameter first then see if it'll fit in a milk crate. If not get a carboy sling

brew-hauler.jpg

http://www.northernbrewer.com/ferment.html

I second the advice to be careful with the carboy, and I'd also like to add that moving day might be a good one to rack your mead. You shouldn't have any issues with stirring up yeast if you just racked off it into a clean carboy with no yeast at the bottom yet.

Also moving days are busy. Make sure to keep it out of sunlight as much as possible throw a t-shirt or two over it keep from getting light-struck.

I know it doesn't have hops but I'd hate to find out later that you should have handled it differently.

Make it a priority to move this first or last or just make a special trip for this. I would be the only one moving it if it was mine. Immediately find an out of the way place for it too.

Depending on your physical stature, and be honest with yourself, get a friend to do it for you or help you. I am 6'3 - 300# Farm kid that feeds cows every day, and I do a lot of physical work with my upper body, I don't think anything about moving full carboys around the house, but I think I'd ask for help if I needed to go down the front steps. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks a bunch guys. I think I will try to rack it that day or as clost to it as possible. I do have milk crates that fit it as well. It has a permanent cover on it so that shouldnt be a problem either.

Thanks!

Back