Need some info or advice about moving to Florida

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbeavk

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We're considering moving from Maryland to Florida in the next few years. I think I'd like a canal home on the Gulf side somewhere between Hernando and Ft Myers somewhere in the $250k price range. We have a dog that loves to swim as well. So are there any advantages between fresh water canals over salt water canals? I've read about the "No Name" storm that hit the Hudson area which kind of scares me about the possibility of losing everything but I realize it was a really freak storm event. I wouldn't mind a home inland a little bit with enough property to open a LHBS with brew on premise. I also have 25yrs exp as a machinist and 9yrs as a cal tech for Biotech equipment in an FDA regulated facility.
Any advice or suggestions? :mug:

I live in the Tampa Bay area. I like it a lot. We are becoming a brewing Mecca here like Asheville and Grand Rapids. As for a LHBS we just had two more open in the last few months so i would not suggest undertaking that endeavor in this area. We have a bunch of canal properties in that price range. There are 9 good sized home brew groups in the area. Not sure if that is the type of information you are interested in but it is what I got ;-)

Thanks Dan any info is good and I appreciate any response. I see just from this forum section that really the whole area I'm considering may already have shops open for supplies. If they make it great I would wish them the best. Being 56 I need to do something to live off of especially brewing related. I want to relax and fish for a bit to wind down and check out the coast but eventually I do want and need to do something. Is the northern part up by Hernando any different than further south for fishing?

Gulf Coast fishing is good but not great. The waters are shallow unless you go 30 plus miles out. That said you can enjoy fishing within the entire area you defined. Hernando area will get you a lot more house for your money BTW.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but this seemed like an eerily appropriate place to follow up with similar questions to Bigbeavk!

My fiancée and I also live in Maryland but she is interviewing for a position in the St Petersburg/Tampa area this week, so I too wanted to get an idea of how Central FL is for homebrewers. While I wasn't heavily involved in Brew Clubs in Baltimore, it seems like a great way to get involved in the community & meet new friends when we move south.

Also, glad to hear that there are multiple homebrew stores opening in that area!

We now have 7 Home brew stores in the Tampa Bay area. Two more have just recently opened. Breweries are opening at a rate of about 2 per month and that trend seems to be on track for the rest for this year. It is Tampa Bay Beer Week this week and we have over 400 events to attend.
http://tampabaybeerweek.com/events

Good luck to all with your moves.

I hate you left coasters. You guys get all the good beer.

there's a Funky Buddha opening in the Tampa area soon!! I've been going to the original bar in Boca and the taproom in Oakland Park since they opened.

I don't have much more to add to the thread other than to say screw you Florida left coasters and your kick ass beer lifestyles.

:p

me and my family just moved to Largo, Tampa Bay area two weeks ago. I have been warned not to let my Lab swim because of the crocs. The tap water tastes like sulfur. I am finding it hard to find a job and have been warned that the pay is lower here than the rest of the nation. the weather is great, the people are laid back and life is a little slower. It's a beach of a life style.

I've heard that letting the dogs swim is not a good idea as well. In the salt water channels they said the sharks feed in the morning and evenings, and in the fresh water canals alligators could be an issue as well. It sure makes me think twice about letting mine in the water. I'm sure they could go in on a beach area close to shore and have some fun if other people are swimming but canals may be a bad idea. Yes the pay rate will be lower in some cases depending on what kind of skills you have and the job description but houses are priced accordingly so if you have a lower cost of living in the area you live in the pay usually is lower as well.

Lately I've been looking at the Stuart, FL area as well since I know someone over there. There definitely looks like a lot nicer house for the money but its a smaller population than Tampa so jobs may be hard to come by. Is the fishing better on the Atlantic coast?

careful about letting your dog swim in the salt water too, they like to drink the salty water, and man, will they have the shooting $hit$, we had to wait 2 hours before we could drive home after.

We're considering moving from Maryland to Florida in the next few years. I think I'd like a canal home on the Gulf side somewhere between Hernando and Ft Myers somewhere in the $250k price range. We have a dog that loves to swim as well. So are there any advantages between fresh water canals over salt water canals? I've read about the "No Name" storm that hit the Hudson area which kind of scares me about the possibility of losing everything but I realize it was a really freak storm event. I wouldn't mind a home inland a little bit with enough property to open a LHBS with brew on premise. I also have 25yrs exp as a machinist and 9yrs as a cal tech for Biotech equipment in an FDA regulated facility.
Any advice or suggestions? :mug:

Well, there are some fine brew pubs in town, however, we seem to lack a LHBS at present here in Sarasota ...

So I'd suggest moving an hour S. of Tampa, LOL.

Latest posts

Back