just add yeast to cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OSUmoney83

Reaction score
In the heart of buckeye nation, now (2012) in Scot
I'm shaking the rust of my homebrewing skills, and wanted to go through the motions for when I start my next batch of beer.

Anyways I saw 1/2 gallons of apple cider at the grocery, made sure it had no preservatives, then sanitized a gallon jug, dumped in the cider and a packet of yeast from an old kit and threw an airlock on, There was activity in a couple of hours. I added no sugar, nothing else. At this point, Im thinking I have a pretty good starter and I'm contemplating buying 4 more gallons and dumping it in the bucket along with this starter. Could someone give me any advice here? Do I need to have these campden tablets I keep reading about, or sugar?

you dont really need campden tabs if the cider was pastuerized assumingyou s.g. was around 1.050 you dont really need sugar it will just boost you abv

I agree, no Camden is needed. Search for "Apfelwein" by Ed Wort. He's got an easy to follow kick A** recipe if you want 8% to 9% ABV dry cider. It's great!! Also, if you like it sweeter, try fermenting with Wyeast 3068. It will give you a nice, sweet cider around 4% to 5% abv. TreeTop brand Apple Juice from Walmart works great with these recipies.

If it's pasteurized, there is no need for campden... If it is not, then it is up to personal preference... It's recommended that you do add campden if not pasteurized, but you don't need to...

If you have a good starter going, then I would say that campden is not needed. The fermentation taking off should overpower anything that you would need to worry about... just my $0.015 (damn USD ain't worth what it used to be)...

Back