Protecting the taps from babyzilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbear219

Reaction score
Any suggestions on how I can lock/protect my keezer taps from a child? My 19 month old is almost tall enough and reach them and, well, she's in to everything so I know it's just a matter of time before the dumps 5 gallons of home brew out on to the floor one of these days.

I thought about those for when my kids get to a certain age but at $40 a pop, for 4 taps that's a lot. I'd rather have a lock on opening the keezer top and have the liquid lines disconnected.

I used to use small ball valves in line (you can get 1/4" ones in chrome or plastic versions, but not sure about stainless) to turn off taps to the old kegerator in college. I havent implemented such on the current setup, but will soon since my son is getting more mobile and curious. I like it better since the ball locks dribble a bit everytime you disconnect them from the keg...which tends to make a mess after a while.

my plan is initially to just take the tap handles off when not in use - def curious what other options there are besides disconnecting the liquid line each time

I did think about disconnecting the lines but like someone said they do dribble when you pull them off which can become a sticky mess in the bottom of your keezer over time. It is probably the easiest option though. If you poppet gets stuck open when the hose come off it could make an even more decent mess pretty quickly.

Putting a valve in-line to stop the flow is intriguing. I may look in to doing something like that in the long term.

Lowes or Home Depot has outside faucet protectors for the colder months. They are made of styrofoam, shaped like a pyramid, and have a tie on them that goes through the center, wraps around faucet, and is a cinch pull. They can be easily undone, moved to the side, access to faucet, and put right back. May be $3, at most.

My keezer is in my basement/man cave and I have one of those children superyards around it. Keeps my 2 year old out, he does like to throw his toys into it though.

If you have a wooden collar, couldn't you just make a wooden box that attaches to the collar and covers the taps? Maybe put a hing on one side and swing it out of the way to use it?

Those look perfect...just make sure to open/close the valve when you are flushing your lines with cleaner to get all the little crevices arount the ball inside the valve.

I was thinking of putting a shut off valve on mine as well. I have standard faucets and had one stick after about 2 weeks of setting up my kegorator. I figured it would make it easier to remove the faucet for cleaning.

Will something like that cause foaming?

Back