Extension Cord for 220-240VAC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzimmer0817

Reaction score
I'm getting a bit impatient to get my keggle converted into an e-keggle. We're moving in 2 months - only about 5 miles away - to a house that has a basement and a great place to set up a brew area.

Until then, is there an appropriate extension cord - probably 30 ft long - that I can plug into my 3-wire dryer outlet, snake it out into the garage, plug the spa panel into it (for GFCI protection), then plug a 4-wire e-controller such as the "Electric Kettle Controller" or the "EBC-II" from High Gravity?

Once moved, I will have an electrician tap into my panel to bring out to a 4-wire spa panel.

Of course, I could just use the propane and save the electricity for the new place.

Thanks,
Keith

Ouch! Those extension cords are expensive! I would just get the appropriate length of cord needed and both male and female connectors from Home Depot and make your own extension cord. I plan on doing this for my 220v welder.

Ouch! Those extension cords are expensive! I would just get the appropriate length of cord needed and both male and female connectors from Home Depot and make your own extension cord. I plan on doing this for my 220v welder.

You're right, they are. I did exactly what you suggested above with a hefty orange extension cord to power the blower on my pipe organ project. The blower has a 220V 2-hp, 3-phase motor on it, so I put a dryer plug on one end, ran the cord thru the floor of the laundry room and about 50 ft over to where I had installed the blower. Then I attached it to a cut-off box, then to a Phase Converter, then to the blower. When I wanted to practice the organ, I would unplug the dryer and plug in the blower.

Although the blower is 220V, it doesn't draw a lot of amps, so I was comfortable with this. Interestingly, I was practicing the organ down in the basement one evening and realized that it was losing wind. I realized that my wife had stepped from the kitchen into the laundry room and unplugged the blower to signal that it was time to eat.

I don't know that I'd want her to do that during the boil?!?

I guess I'll just do the first AG BIAB with propane and wait on the electricity until we get into the new place.

Thanks,
Keith

Thanks,
Keith

Ryan,

I couldn't find anything for 220/240V at Lowes. I thought I was coming up dry on the Home Depot - finding only 3-wire ones rated for 110/120V - until I continued scrolling down. Are these what you're talking about?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...word=RV+power+cord&storeId=10051#.UFEWSK7gGVo

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...word=RV+power+cord&storeId=10051#.UFEWEa7gGVo

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...word=RV+power+cord&storeId=10051#.UFEV5q7gGVo

Thanks,
Keith

Those are the ones I was referring to, although you should be able to find them cheaper than that.

Those are the ones I was referring to, although you should be able to find them cheaper than that.

Thanks for the information. As I said, I think I'm going to use my propane for this next brew. Once I get settled into the new place, I'll start working on my e-brewing setup.

Thanks,
Keith

Back