Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night this huge, 35-ish burly bearded dude walks into the liquor store as I was browsing the selection and says, "Hey, do you guys have Summer Shandy?"

Liquor store girl: "Yeah, it's over by the Leinenkugel and other seasonals."

Dude: "SWEET! This stuff is amazing!"

Me: o_O

Hey as a 35ish bearded dude (maybe not burly, but definately surley) I do enjoy the occasional shandy. But I can't say Leinenkugel without going all Swedish Chef. Boingee Boingee Bork Bork!

Last night this huge, 35-ish burly bearded dude walks into the liquor store as I was browsing the selection and says, "Hey, do you guys have Summer Shandy?"

Liquor store girl: "Yeah, it's over by the Leinenkugel and other seasonals."

Dude: "SWEET! This stuff is amazing!"

Me: o_O

I like shandy. Yum. Funny. Doesn't match his description.

Tonight at the pub next to my hotel in Sugar Land, TX. Not 100% memory on the sequence of dialogue but the point will get acros:

Me: "Time for dessert, I'll have the Founder's Breakfast stout"
Bartender: *Pours a beer thats about 8 SRM at the most* "Here ya go"
Me: *Laughs like a ******, not my proudest moment* "Thats not a freakin stout look at that!"
Bartender: "Yeah it is, look!" He proceeds to unscrew the tap handle to "prove" to me he's right. "Try it"
Me: *Take a sip to humor him* "Nope, not even close"
Bartender: "Well have you had it before? I know stouts are usually darker but maybe they're going for something lighter"
Me: "yes, I've had it. Here, look..."

*I provide a google image search of what the beer should look like. The pic has the bottle next to it so you can read the label: Founder's breakfast stout. Double chocolate oatmeal coffee stout*

Bartender: "Well thats the double, all we have is the regular"
Me: *I realize this is a losing battle, but press on* "It IS an imperial stout...[resignation] no big deal, just not drinking it"

I did end up with a very good coffee porter. It's just a shame they're selling what's probably a 6 month old pale ale as a breakfast stout.

way too early in the morning and not enough coffee for the brain to even try to process this kind of sh*t

didn't get a chance to catch what was on the other side. too afraid to

2015-02-12 14.00.47.jpg

One of my buddies (and his whole family) seem to think that the CO2 used to pump draft beer through the lines gets you more drunk. Also, the same friend told me that you get a head ache when you're hung over because your brain shrinks and rattles around in your skull.

He's sort of close. It is the CO2 in the beer that can get you intoxicated faster, if the alcohol level is sufficient. The bubbles are one of the reasons to serve champagne at the beginning of a dinner. Gets the chatter and conviviality going faster.
Ingesting alcohol causes dehydration which could diminish the thickness of the dura mater allowing the brain to rattle.

One of my buddies (and his whole family) seem to think that the CO2 used to pump draft beer through the lines gets you more drunk. Also, the same friend told me that you get a head ache when you're hung over because your brain shrinks and rattles around in your skull.

it may just be my imagination, but I'm not entirely convinced it doesn't

He's sort of close. It is the CO2 in the beer that can get you intoxicated faster, if the alcohol level is sufficient. The bubbles are one of the reasons to serve champagne at the beginning of a dinner. Gets the chatter and conviviality going faster.
Ingesting alcohol causes dehydration which could diminish the thickness of the dura mater allowing the brain to rattle.

Ok yes but there's CO2 in all beer not just draft. I probably should have elaborated more and said that he blames the fact that he was drinking draft beer and not canned/bottled for making stupid decisions. The headache is caused by blood vessels dilating. If your brain hits the inside of your head you get a concussion not just a headache...

Lol... 4.2%, must have been talking to a lightweight.

I quickly informed him that GUinnes was just a darkened light beer, basically. This dude can drink yellow fizzies like water. I told him my HB pale ale was going to run about 6.0 and he sputtered a bit though. BMC drinkers are weird.

Guinness is practically identical to Sam Adams Light in terms of calories, ABV, carbs, etc.

Seems most folks don't pay attention to the details. Neither do they seem to like taking a chance on something other than their usual BMC's. But to speak up & remove all doubt, well...:drunk::D

I understand the desire to drink a light flavored, easy drinking beverage, but being loyal as a dog to only one just does not sit with me at all. They're all variations of the exact same thing. I love Dr. Pepper, it's easily my 2nd or third favorite thing in the world, but I'll drink a Coke.

I understand the desire to drink a light flavored, easy drinking beverage, but being loyal as a dog to only one just does not sit with me at all. They're all variations of the exact same thing. I love Dr. Pepper, it's easily my 2nd or third favorite thing in the world, but I'll drink a Coke.

Well... they are all quite different.

I can't stomach a Miller Lite, won't even drink a free one.

Coors Light is ok.

Bud Light is so-so.

Busch Light is floccing amazing.

And Dr. Pepper makes me have to poop in like, 10 mins flat.

Coors Light is ok.

Bud Light is so-so.

See, if I was ranking them, Miller Lite would be on top. Natty Light a close 2nd.

But I try to drink them as cold as possible...can't tell em apart.

I have seen like 3-4 people in this thread and 2 web articles talking about beer today that have ranking Coors (or Coors Lite) as a "decent" or "okay" beer.

I cannot grasp this. I have not had a beer in my life that is as absolutely disgusting as Coors Lite. It is an abomination. It makes Budweiser seem like a work of art. And I'm hardly a Bud fan. The last time I bought a Bud was over 10 years ago. As much as I dislike Miller, it also tastes heavenly in comparison with Coors.

I guess it can be chalked up to personal taste, but I cannot grasp how anyone can enjoy Coors Lite.... (bursts into unstoppable tears)

I have seen like 3-4 people in this thread and 2 web articles talking about beer today that have ranking Coors (or Coors Lite) as a "decent" or "okay" beer.

I cannot grasp this. I have not had a beer in my life that is as absolutely disgusting as Coors Lite. It is an abomination. It makes Budweiser seem like a work of art. And the last time I bought a Bud was over 10 years ago.

I guess it can be chalked up to personal taste, but I cannot grasp how anyone can enjoy Coors Lite.... (bursts into unstoppable tears)

Yep.

Give me a sour and I'll throw it right in your face... some people love them.

I don't get being so offended by Coors Light, or any other light beer. It's as innoffensive a beverage as possible, on purpose. The flavor profile is non-existant. Sex in a canoe if you get the drift.

I don't get being so offended by Coors Light, or any other light beer. It's as innoffensive a beverage as possible, on purpose. The flavor profile is non-existant. Sex in a canoe if you get the drift.

Been there done that... doesn't work out so well, flipped once before we figured out we should just park it up on the bank and get to it.

I love sour beers, but I can understand why some people don't like them. Likewise, there are beers I don't like that I can understand why people like them (such as a lot of the BMC beers), but Coors Lite is the one beer that I cannot comprehend how anyone could like. It just boggles the mind. It's literally on the same level to me as someone drinking cigarette ash water and enjoying it. I know some people have the same feelings towards other beers that I may like or dislike but understand, so maybe Coors Lite is just my own personal trauma beer. I'm pretty sure it's the first beer I had when I was in junior high and I couldn't understand how anyone could like BEER (assuming that all beers tasted like it).

Coors Light is ok.

Bud Light is so-so.

I can not stand Bud light or Coors light.
However during the summer months, when I am walking the golf course, lugging a 30lbs bag, I love Bud Light Lime!
There I said it! I like Budlight lime.
It is probably the horrific overpowering lime taste in the hot, direct sun.
Must mix well!

I can not stand Bud light or Coors light.
However during the summer months, when I am walking the golf course, lugging a 30lbs bag, I love Bud Light Lime!
There I said it! I like Budlight lime.
It is probably the horrific overpowering lime taste in the hot, direct sun.
Must mix well!

The receptionist will take your homebrewer's card on your way out...

But really, there is a time and place for almost every beer. 85 degree day mowing the lawn? You'll find me drinking a couple cold Rainiers

The receptionist will take your homebrewer's card on your way out...

But really, there is a time and place for almost every beer. 85 degree day mowing the lawn? You'll find me drinking a couple cold Rainiers

Sunday 9 o'clock Church service. I'm an usher/prayer partner. Go!

Belgian Trappist for the win! Although, since you're in Texas...if it were summer, patersbier might a better choice, since it would be about 110°F at 9AM.

Back