electronic valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're going for full automation you probably whirlpool or sanitize by pumping the wort back into the kettle at the top tangential to the kettle so it whirlpools. No sense in doing it manually if automation is the goal. You'd pump boiling wort in that scenario.

I used cr03, power is constant to valves and when trigger activated the valve opens. This works with spst relays

So does anyone have any experience with tf-valvefittings.com? Even the 3-way valves are a really good price.

My brewstand is ever evolving... PID temp control was up first, and now I'm going for valve control... then volume control (fill the HLT and Boil Kettle)... then velocity control (1 liter/minute sparge)... and then "finish" by tying it all together with full automation (BrewTroller, BCS-462, or some other).

I have a couple of questions on electronic valves, and excuse me if I sound a lot like I look... ;)

1) What is the difference between an electronic valve and a solenoid valve? Both seem to do the same thing - open and close when told - but there's a significant difference in price, electronic being more expensive.

2) On the 3-Way L-Port Motorized Ball Valve, it looks like the flow is being directed one of two directions - either to the left or to the right (for the lack of better descriptors). Do they also shut off entirely, or are they always open to flow, and only the direction can change? I need a valve to either be closed (no flow), open-left (HLT), or open-right (MT). If the 3-way won't shut off, then I'll need to put a 2-way valve in front of it.

Thanks, all!
Michael

As far as #2, I played that game and searched for a 3-way valve with 3 options (1/2/closed) and found nothing. So yes - two two-way valves are needed.

I'm not sure why there don't seem to be 3 way valves that have a shut-off position...seems very useful, and probably not *that* expensive to implement.

Solenoid valves typically have a small pin that shuts off flow...when you energize the solenoid it pulls the pin so that liquid flows. The problem is that they seem to all have very small ports...they may be 1/2 inch valves or whatever, but the hole for liquid to flow through is (at least in the one I ordered) about 1/16". The way this is set up will make this VERY hard to clean as well. I learned this after ordering one as I too just saw the cheap prices. I ended up ordering the electronic ball valves from the link earlier in this thread.

I'm not sure why there don't seem to be 3 way valves that have a shut-off position...seems very useful, and probably not *that* expensive to implement.

Solenoid valves typically have a small pin that shuts off flow...when you energize the solenoid it pulls the pin so that liquid flows. The problem is that they seem to all have very small ports...they may be 1/2 inch valves or whatever, but the hole for liquid to flow through is (at least in the one I ordered) about 1/16". The way this is set up will make this VERY hard to clean as well. I learned this after ordering one as I too just saw the cheap prices. I ended up ordering the electronic ball valves from the link earlier in this thread.

WHEW!!! I guess I dodged another chance to prove that there really IS such a thing as a stupid question!

Thanks for the clarity... I figured I'd be getting what I paid for if I went with the electrical valves, but just wasn't sure of what that additional value would be. Just getting a full-port valve is enough, as I have a handful of stainless steel 2-way manual valves sitting in a box in the garage because they weren't full port... didn't see that feature NOT being mentioned in the description as I ordered a bunch of them :)

Thanks!!

On the 3-Way L-Port Motorized Ball Valve, it looks like the flow is being directed one of two directions - either to the left or to the right (for the lack of better descriptors). Do they also shut off entirely, or are they always open to flow, and only the direction can change? I need a valve to either be closed (no flow), open-left (HLT), or open-right (MT). If the 3-way won't shut off, then I'll need to put a 2-way valve in front of it.

3-way valves come either "L" or "T" configurations. In the "L" configuration, the flow is always open between two ports; in the "T" configuration, the valve can generally be rotated so it's fully shut off.

Not sure if there are automated valves offered in the "T" configuration but this was my experience when purchasing manual valves.

See configurations below:

400px-3-way.svg.png

jpalarchio - Yeah, it's that LAST one on the L-port that I'm trying to find implemented in an electronic valve, e.g., all flow stopped, but I haven't been able to identify an electronic valve that offers that state, only the first two (flow right, flow left).

Unless I'm missing something in all the advertisements... maybe it's "assumed" that there is an "off" state?

BTW, as far as full port or reduced port on ball valves, look at the connectors on your March pump; it's reduced port. So I'm not sure full or reduced port really matters (solenoids are another story).

I bought from them. Prices/shipping were reasonable and the whole process only took a couple weeks. I haven't tried out the valves yet, but having a paypal option was a big plus for me.

Those wiring diagrams just show a generic switch. Transistor, relay, triac, SSR are just different types of switch. They all work, but a transistor is probably cheapest and easiest to interface with a microcontroller. If you already have an external relay board it will probably work with both 24VDC and 240VAC so it hardly matters.

I went rigth to KLD that distributes to OSCSYS. I spend a little under $300 for (3) 3way and (1) 2way valves shipped. Just got them a while ago and they work great.
Plus the customer service was really nice. Although, the time zone differance made communication difficult.

Id recommend them.

I went rigth to KLD that distributes to OSCSYS. I spend a little under $300 for (3) 3way and (1) 2way valves shipped. Just got them a while ago and they work great.
Plus the customer service was really nice. Although, the time zone differance made communication difficult.

Id recommend them.

My understanding is OSCSYS no longer buys from KLD, doesn't seem to be too many details as to why....

@jpoder, there are 3-way valves that do offer what you need, but they are fairly uncommon. The reason is because you will need a 180 degree 3-position actuator. Most rotary actuators are only 90 degree or "quarter-turn" with only 2 positions. I believe they are available as special order (but not listed) here: https://assuredautomation.com/3-way-ball-valves/ The people there provide great service and have helped me many times.

Also, if you have instrument air running at your place, a great (albeit pricey) option might be a pneumatically actuated angle valve. These are very close to full port, and are available in SS with tri-clamp fittings so removal for cleaning would be very easy. You will have to keep the air connected so you can actuate it and get to all areas both above and below the plug. These are actually used on keg cleaners quite often.

Back