what to pile on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
i hav a yeast cake of california ale yeast from a semi snpa. i dont kno wat to dump on it and i wanna do something different. i hav made an ipa, two brown ales, a stout, a wit, a rasberry wheat, and now i want to find something a little different to put an this cake? looking for some suggestions.

o and im making a hefe tommorrow which i doubt i would use this yeast for anyway. haha

How about an amber ale? Maybe something like my Dead Guy clone. Or even better, an ESB? You didn't have that in your list, and an ESB is a mighty fine beer!

An amber would be good. . . a stout or porter would be good as well-- That yeast is extremely versatile, and I think I've used it for just about everything short of a weizen or a Belgian.

Recipes, you want recipes? I have several:

Here's my Sawtooth Clone:

Left hand Sawtooth Ale
Grain Bill:
1lb 40L Crystal
1/2 lb Victory (toasted)
3lbs Pale Extract
3lbs Munich Extract

Hop Bill:
1.5 oz Fuggle (45 min boil)
1.5 oz Golding (15 min boil)
1 oz Golding (end of boil)

Steep grains in water 15-20 minutes at about 155 degrees.
Remove and add malt extracts.
Bring to boil.

Total Boiling time 45 minutes.
Add 1.5 oz of fuggle at beginning of boil
Add 1.5 oz Golding when 15 minutes left in boil
Add 1 oz Golding at the end of the boil.

Let cool and pitch yeast.
If you keg: try substituting whole leaf hops for the 1 oz Golding and instead of adding it at the end of the boil, put it in a hop bag and throw it in the keg at kegging time. (of course you will want to boil the hops in a little water for a few minutes and add all the soup including the hop bag to the keg. This makes for a nice hop punch!

I've done this with a British ale yeast, and it's great- but I think your california yeast would really do the trick.

And Redhook ESB:
Malts:
2 4# cans Alexander Sun Country pale malt
3/4# light crystal ~20l

Hops:
1 oz centennial boil 60 min
1 oz tettnanger finishing

And my Dead Guy Clone is floating around here someplace. I've only done it with pacman yeast, but I think it'd be fine with the yeast you have.

Latest posts

Back