What does your element look like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dboblitt

Reaction score
So I am 4 batches in using my e-kettle and my element has a pretty nice layer of blackened crud on it. I clean it off every time with some dish soap and an abrasive pad but I have yet to really dig into it and try to peal all of the blackened bits off. Does everyone else clean their element until it shines or does a little bit of a blackened coating not hurt?

Mine clean up pretty well, just a little soap and scrubbing, six brews and still going good, not a long track record but not too bad.

I use the black incoloy ripp elements. I've only brewed twice so far with my new system, but after a hot PBW soak, they look new. No scrubbing. We'll see how they keep up with each new batch.

TB

I know, Old thread, but I have to answer this one.
Boil a little bit of water with a descaling tablet and then scrub, it works wonders.

There was some definitive off flavors in the batches I brewed with a dirty element.

Back