Why does Everyone Love DHB 60 Min. IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffManMississippi

Reaction score
I know who Dog Fish Head Brewery is I've just never drank one of there beers.

Why is the 60 min IPA so popular? What does it taste like?

I only post because i am just that curious . I see this stuff everywhere in the online brewing world, recipes , videos , DFHB was in Beer Wars the Documentary , peoples primary list and secondary list and bottled list all over Home Brew Talk so i mean i just gotta know why do you love the 60 min IPA?

Make me want to brew this beer.

thx much :drunk::mug::drunk:

I think you mean Dog Fish Head (DFH). People like it so much because it is good. The beer is continually hopped over the course of the boil. Instead of adding all your hops at 60 or 45 minutes they add the hops little by little (every few seconds or minutes) over the entire time of the boil. So the DFH 60 minute IPA is hopped for a 60 minutes boil. They also have a 90 minute and a 120. Its a unique process and yeilds darn good results.

I haven't had that one in a while.. Which means I should visit the local beer store.. Anyway! From what I can remember it is just a great hoppy, drinkable IPA. I haven't met anyone who hasn't enjoyed it.

It doesn't lean towards too much citrus or pine. It is well balanced by a toasty malt profile that kind of winds it way through the different hop layers.

You should try it!

It's a solid, hoppy IPA. The 90 Minute is even better in my opinion. The 120 Minute is a super syrupy, complex beast, which I also enjoy thoroughly.

The 60 minute is notable because it has an enormous hop flavor without being too bitter. It's a really choice IPA, lovely to drink.

60's better...wanna fight about it? ;)

I think it's good, but IMHO there are better IPAs out there, (I love super hoppy, super piney ones)...

DFH 60 is a solid staple in my house. Love it. Definitely one of my favourite IPAs.

I can't finish a 90, way too syrupy and under attenuated. Actually, I find most DFH beers way too sweet. The 60 is pretty good tho, but there are better IPA's out there. Blind pig IPA, or Two Hearted for example. :)

I agree that both the 60 and 90 are a bit too sweet. I'd reach for a bottle of Ruination or Racer 5 before the dogfish head IPA's.

I really like the 60, but the 90 is better (never tried the 120). IMO, the key to enjoying the 90 is to take about 2 hours to drink one. I pour one and barely touch it for the first half hour - it just gets better and better as it warms up to room temp.

personally, I have not enjoyed any of the DFH beers that I've tried. Some of them were even drain pours. Something in the 90-minute reminded me of melted plastic. There are plenty of excellent IPA's out there, but I don't include the DFH beers among them

agreed, but I think it depends on what type of beer drinker you are. I prefer sipping on a bigger 90 minute over the course of ~45 minutes. Some prefer to drink a smaller 60 Minute every 5-10

90 Minutes DFH goes down so smooth and tastes wonderful. I can easily drink them in copious amounts but then I get all philosophical and stuff. Don't even ask which way the ceiling fan turns :)

I think you should try it and then decide for your self if you want to brew it haha. Just because someone else likes it doesn't mean its worth spending the money on for you.

$.02

gotta say pretty good feed back plus i am learning about some other ipa's , but does it really make that much of a difference by slowly adding hops over an hour? really?

DFH beers are too sweet on average. I didn't care for the 90 and I haven't had the 60 but it looks too balanced from the stats for my style of IPA.

gotta say pretty good feed back plus i am learning about some other ipa's , but does it really make that much of a difference by slowly adding hops over an hour? really?

I have brewed a couple of ipas this way. I would say that it reduces the bitterness, which is probably why many here have said that the 60/90 is too sweet. Personally, I preferred the ipa brewed this way to the same recipe brewed traditionally. It really is just preference, but it does indeed make a difference. Not just a gimmick.

60 minute reminds me a lot of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but a little bigger. I've noticed 60 minute on draft is notably better than from the bottle.

That's probably why I love 60 minutes. I can't get anything from DFH in Mississippi, so I settle with SN PA.

I like the 90 minute, but I prefer the 60 minute. 120 minute was just too much for me. I shared my last bottle with beer friends.

I'll stand up and say that I don't really like the 60 (or really, ANYTHING from DFH). It's not the worst beer I've ever had, but I certainly wouldn't ever pay for it.

The 90 is aweful. Except this ONE time I had it on tap through the Randall at a beer festival. That was actually pretty good. Never had a good one out of a bottle.

120.... forget it. pancake syrup.

The 60 min in my opinion is borderline to a pale ale. It is very clean and easy to drink. I haven't had it in years and picked up a sixer and thought it was refreshing. But it's nothing to write home about.

I just recently picked up a sixer of Sweetwater IPA (it's been a while also) and that is something you should write home to your mama. It is very, very tasty. I recommend all of you picking it up. It is better than their 420 PA.

I'll stand up and say that I don't really like the 60 (or really, ANYTHING from DFH). It's not the worst beer I've ever had, but I certainly wouldn't ever pay for it.

The 90 is aweful. Except this ONE time I had it on tap through the Randall at a beer festival. That was actually pretty good. Never had a good one out of a bottle.

I'm with Walker on this one - I LOVE IPAs, just not DFH. Stone's IPA & Ruination are great, I'm a fan of a hoppy APA -
Not sure what kind of hops DFH uses, but not my fav. None of DFH are on my list. My regular go-to beer is a Sweetwater IPA. fantastic!

I gotta say, I am surprised at how many people here do not like Dog Fish Head. I know everyone has different tastes, but, I love the 60, 90, India Brown and have been trying to get a 120.
What is even more surprising then the number of people here that don't like Dog Fish Head, is how many people around here love Blue Moon. That is something I don't understand!

that is where I was going with my post too. On average their beers are just too sweet for me. I have heard a lot of their high gravity beers have FGs of like 1030 - 1035 which may be too style but not for me normally

I find the yeast DFH uses for their 60 Minute IPA (Ringwood) produces a little buttery/smoky taste that is unique (to my buds at least). The technique of adding hops over the entire boil is certainly interesting but I'm not patient enough to try it myself.

I think you should try it and then decide for your self if you want to brew it haha. Just because someone else likes it doesn't mean its worth spending the money on for you.

$.02

I'd agree with this. I tried a bottle of the 60' and got 2 sips out of it. I didn't care for it at all and it started to make me feel sick to my stomach. Haven't tried another IPA since. Others may love it, but it's not for me.

I'm not a huge fan of DFH either (I agree their beers are too sweet), but will drink the 60 and 90 minute IPAs if they're on special or something. Not horrible, but not my go to beers either.

Two Hearted, 60 min, 90 min, and Lagunitas Maximus are my fav IPA's but they each have their own uniqueness...(if thats a word)...the 60 min kicks ass, but I prefer the 90 minute...if I want to shell out 10 bux for a 4 pack

if you can get your hands on a 6er of 60 minute you should ...Solid IPA!

The 120...way, way overhyped and barely drinkable to me.

Gotta age it my friend. I recently came across a few bottles that were bottled in 08 at a local wine store. The women aged them in a humidor for two years before selling them. Fresh I can't handle the stuff but 2 years later it is just ****ing amazing, it drinks like a port so I usually split a 12 with a couple other people and drink it out of a port glass.

I think the 60 and 90 are good with spicy food, but I have a hard time drinking them on their own. Can't deal with the 120 - I wouldn't say it's too sweet, it's just too overpowering (and I love big beers).

I think Lagunitas did a good job with A Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. It's fairly hoppy but I find it more drinkable than the DFH

Funny you should ask, I'm drinking one as we speak. I'm fairly new to the DFH brews but I do find the 60 min IPA balanced and quite tasty, not sweet as some do. To each their own but I'll buy them again.

I have mixed feelings about DFH. I'm only 21, so maybe I'm not mature enough to judge some of their beers. My beer preferences are for darker browns, stouts, and for session beers Belgiums and English Bitters (cheap beers in France). This is probably because I started drinking in Europe at an Irish Pub, so guiness is what "beer" is to me.

As for DFH, I like their 60 and 90 minute IPAs with food. On their own, their a little strong (not really a hop fan, but that will change as the only IPA's I've had are DFH and a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale once, which I liked). However, DFH makes some NASTY beer sometimes. For instance, I thought I would get all fancy for college graduation and have an aged DFH from the store. It was a Raison d'être, a good choice since I am a French/History major. It was a Belgian, with beets and grapes for some fermentable sugars. It was supposedly from 2000, so I was expecting the sweetness from the beets and grapes to be mellow. I like wine(I lived in France for 5 months), and I like cider, and I don't mind sweet beers. This one (the only one from a 6 pack I drank), however, tasted terrible. It was barely drinkable. It tasted a bit like wine, a bit like beer, and a lot like sour soda that was over carbed, and left a bad aftertaste. Furthermore, DFH has a lot of gimmicky beers, which I'm sure are ok, but not good from what I hear. So, all in all, they make good IPAs, ok others, and some ultra-terrible strange/unique stuff that is highly over priced. It has been suggested that ageing these terrible ones might make them better, but the worst beer I ever drank was that Raison d'être that was supposedly aged 10 years.

I like what they are doing for beer though. Where I went to college, many of the upperclassmen drank micro-brews like DFH, and DFH has been at the forefront of trying to expose people to good beer.

"the only IPA's I've had are DFH and a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale once"
SNPA is an APA, not an IPA.
I liked the 60 and the 90 DFHs. I didn't think they were sweet because the hops and malt were pretty balanced. This was a while back, however, so I should probably get some more for a fresh opinion.
Oh, yeah, and I hope it doesn't offend anyone, but Blue Moon is not craft beer. It is owned by Miller/Coors or INBev, I can't remember which one.
Fake craft beer with a twist off cap.

Back