Cherry Wheat: Wyeast 1056 American or Safale US-56???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atrus

Reaction score
Someone had posted a recipe for a cherry wheat a few weeks back, thread is HERE.

I may substitute LME for the DME.

My main question is, I have some Wyeast 1056 American in a smack pack that was shipped extra when I ordered my pumpkin ale kit. The recipe calls for a Safale US-56. What would it do to the taste if I used my Wyeast instead? If it's not a good idea, can someone name a few types that would benefit from the Wyeast 1056 so I can use this yeast up?

Thanks!

Based on their descriptions (and numbering scheme), I wouldn't be surprised if the Wyeast and Safale strains are exactly the same. If not, they are certainly quite similar, and I wouldn't hesitate to substitute one for the other.

Yeah. Pretty much the same thing. The safale 56 is much cheaper--so honestly you can pitch 2 packs and forego a starter in a pinch.

I'd say I use safale 56 in 80% of my brews. I love the stuff.

Thanks everyone....I'll use the Wyeast just because I already have it. I'll do a starter tomorrow, and brew on Monday night. :mug:

If you want my advice, I would take the ethical route and return or pay for the yeast pack that you got for "free". It's called Karma, man. Unless you already have a beef with the supplier, if they've wronged you in some other way. Then you'd be even. But otherwise, that's not very nice.

Nah. If THEY're ethical, they wouldn't re-sell it anyway, because they wouldn't know what conditions the smack-pack was in after they mailed it out. It's a perishable item. Could have been left out in the heat, for all they know.

The *ethical* thing to do, I think, is to make sure that supplier gets most of your business for a while.

Evan! said:
If you want my advice, I would take the ethical route and return or pay for the yeast pack that you got for "free". It's called Karma, man. Unless you already have a beef with the supplier, if they've wronged you in some other way. Then you'd be even. But otherwise, that's not very nice.

With that logic anyone who has ever ordered hops and got more then the ordered (example 2oz marked 1 oz -OR- 1.25lbs marked 1lbs) should send back the extra hops?

I agree with The Brid, remember them next time you place an order. If he got the yeast when he bought a kit, it very well could have been part of that kit.

I guess I wasn't tongue-in-cheek enough for the masses. Sorry to set off an ethics debate. Allow me to amend my statement:

;)

Back