District 9

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? I was quite disappointed, especially after all the hype. Plot was incredibly simple yet there was still massive holes in it. I expected more from Peter Jackson.

I loved it! It wasn't exactly what I expected it to be, but it was great nonetheless.

I expected more from Peter Jackson.
It's not a Peter Jackson film...why do people keep saying this?

I haven't seen it but it did look terrible. No real scares, just jarring scares that make you jump. Was this the case or was it just a supremely sh!tty trailer?

I want to see this... it has some potential... thanks for the reviews.

Really? I was quite disappointed, especially after all the hype. Plot was incredibly simple yet there was still massive holes in it. I expected more from Peter Jackson.

Peter Jackson just produced it. Neill Blomkamp wrote and directed it.

It's holes were unexplained mysteries. I have no doubt they were intentional...the film makes you think...I'm still thinking about it.

Just watched Crossing Over. Good movie...kinda reminds me of Crash, not only in the social drama but in the filming and the tying together of stories.

I wouldn't call District 9 an "immigration" movie. Very different film.

Wasn't District 9 originally more about apartheid than immigration (hence the setting in Joburg)

I saw it over the weekend and was impressed. The CG was pretty cool and I certainly want one of the mechs.

Overall though, the story was pretty good and it makes ya think... certainly one to see on the big screen.

Wasn't District 9 originally more about apartheid than immigration (hence the setting in Joburg)

That's definitely what they were going for, but I got more of an immigration message from it. 1.5 million blacks didn't just "arrive" in South Africa like the aliens did.

I do agree the CG was absolutely stunning. Just wished they'd have done a better job explaining the guns and fluid (hope that's not too much a spoiler).

Wow, I left work early today and caught a 4pm showing alone in the theater. I was pretty blown away.

It's really funny how I began the film hating Wikus as the typical fakely joyful pencil necked corporate wonk, and ended up sympathizing with him.

Is there any word on them doing a sequel with the return 3 years later?

BTW I am completely smitten with Nathalie Boltt who played the sociologist.

MV5BMTk1ODA1ODQ0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFyZXN1bWU@._V1._SX600_SY400_.jpg

She can collect my data anytime.

I thought it was amazing as well. The progression of the character was awesome.

I am listenning to the CBC overnight program which is really just the BBC live programming feed...and whatever overnight show is on now, the host and the movie critic are raving about it....

The only fault they have is that they say later in the movie as wilcus "goes wild" they fail to continue to make it feel like a documentary, that they crash out of the fourth wall and go into a traditional action flick....I personally was so carried forward by the mindblowing visuals and plot twist didn't notice those times it looked like a normal film and not survelience or documentary footaage..anyone else not notice the segue?

SWMBO and I saw this yesterday....meh. While I will say it was stylistically very good. The CG was pretty amazing. I had a hard time with the way the storyline read. They left some pretty glaring plot holes IMHO.

SWMBO loved it. I was ok with it but can't say it was amazing for me. Would I go see Section 10, or whatever they name a sequel? Probably, as I would just love to see the Prawns come back and pwn some ****.

its interesting how the African gangsters AND the government were both only interested in alien weaponry. Is not the government simply the largest and most "legitimate" form of gang?

SWMBO and I saw this yesterday....meh. While I will say it was stylistically very good. The CG was pretty amazing. I had a hard time with the way the storyline read. They left some pretty glaring plot holes IMHO.

Glad someone's finally seeing it like me. I think many who loved it will have a more skeptical eye on subsequent viewings. The logic behind the guns CANNOT be explained away. Why didn't the Prawns just woop-ass?

It was mentioned during the opening that the only survivors were the worker drones...Like worker bees...The leader class all died out. So without an effective leader they were passive.

That's why I have a feeling that Wikus will lead a rebellion in the sequel if there is one...he'll be like the prawn messiah.

Back