Perry??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottM

Reaction score
So here's the situation: Last fall I got about a bushel of pears from a neighbor. We didn't know what else to do with them so we skinned, quartered, and seeded. Then we put in quart jars, with a tsp of ascorbic acid, and 6 drops of a liquid artificial sweetener, topped up with boiling water, and canned them. Now we're not huge fans of the canned pears, but we eat them from time to time. What I'm wondering about would be all that "pear juice" in the jars. If I cracked enough jars to get 1 gal of juice, do any of you think it would ferment down to a drinkable Perry?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'll probably use a cheescloth to press out any juice remaining in the canned pears, and to be sure I'll get up to the gallon mark. After that I'll probably need some extra fermentable sugars, honey maybe? Anyone have a guess at where I should try to get the OG to? The apple cider that's working now, was 3 gal pastuerized juice, 2 lbs of honey and that started at 1.074.

Back