1st time hop grower...how long till I see sprouts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMO

Reaction score
I received my order from Thyme garden on 7 Mar. I had everything ready and planted them that same day. Hallertauer, Fuggle, and Magnum (2 each). I used miracle grow in 64 qt containers and have been watering every other day or so. I buried them 4-5 inches deep (probably a bit too deep) and still haven't seen any sprouts yet. Any thoughts or ideas? I'm thinking about gently pulling the soil back to see if there's been any growth at all and maybe burying them closer to the surface.

DSC_00030120.JPG

I received my order from Thyme garden on 7 Mar. I had everything ready and planted them that same day. Hallertauer, Fuggle, and Magnum (2 each). I used miracle grow in 64 qt containers and have been watering every other day or so. I buried them 4-5 inches deep (probably a bit too deep) and still haven't seen any sprouts yet. Any thoughts or ideas? I'm thinking about gently pulling the soil back to see if there's been any growth at all and maybe burying them closer to the surface.

I'm a first time grower also, mine just popped up after a week in the ground. I only buried them an inch deep though.

I checked them today after work and the Magnum came out of nowhere and was about an inch above the mulch! I'm gonna wait another day or two then move the dirt on the other two. Pretty cool!

You'll just have to wait longer if they are deeper. Magnum is the best grower of the lot. Hallertau and Fuggle will not be as aggressive.

I second the 1 week call. I planted two rhizomes last Saturday and both popped up yesterday, but that was in my basement with a fluorescent tube going 24/7 over them. :rockin:

Hey everyone, this is Dominic in San Diego, first timer on hombrewtalk or any other forum for that matter!
I just planted my first hop rhizomes, 2 each of Centennial, Magnum, Cascade, Nuggett and Mt. Hood! Very excited to see what happens next.

How often and how much do you guys water your rhizomes while waiting for them to sprout? Or if anyone has a timer and drip irrigation set up, what is your timer scheduled at? Thanks!

Ive read in books, 4-5" is good for burying, some on forums say just under the surface, others say 2-3". I just buried mine at about 4" and the top soil is loose on top. We will see what happens in about a week.

I say maybe loosen up the dirt on top of the plant and see what happens.

:mug:

1st time hop grower
Planted on April 18. Using 10 and 15 gallon fabric pots. Used a mix of premium and cheap potting soil with some “baby hop plant” fertilizer (16-5-11). Went down about 2” and laid them down horizontally with what were my best guesses of root shoots toward the bottom.

I was beginning to question myself not seeing any activity...but today there’s excitement! First to break ground is one of the Tahoma

I’m growing hops for the first time this year too. I started a thread “1st year hop experience” I’ll be posting pics of how it goes and hope to get help along the way from some of the more experienced growers on here. Encouraging any other first year growers to show us your grow on that thread if you’d like!

As a fellow hop grower, I just wanted chime in.... There’s something amazing about watching hop plants grow. Year one is just the beginning. I was shocked by the growth in year two and floored by year three.

I’ve been caring for a cascade plant for 5 years now. It has given me incredible joy and, ho hum, some amazing brews that friends and family rave about. I moved a couple years ago but did bring the massive cascade crown with me. The move set the plant back quite a bit last year, but this year it has exploded out of the ground. Excited again to watch it grow!

I added 3 more varieties from GLH to my yard last year; Hartwick, Arcadian and Alpharoma. For the latter plants, I trimmed the first shoots before an April snow storm and week long cold snap. It took over 2 weeks to get new shoots back up. I thought for sure I had killed my plants. Not the case at all! For those weeks I felt like a noob all over again.

Long story short, growing hops is a long game for sure. Much patience required. The rewards are far out into the future, but well worth the effort.

Wow this was a necro thread! But I’m a soon to be a hop grower myself so I’m glad for the info.

Yup...also here in San Diego (like @HopHobbit)...had Chinook and Centennial break thru...but my Mt Hood, Sterling, Golding and Comet haven't sprouted yet ...
planted them about a finger depth or so and gently raked the potting soil over top...
its organic potting soil and I've got them in 15 gallon pots..
Tested the soil for moisture, pH and "sunlight" with a new tool I got...but I doubt it's too accurate...
Gonna run my hop twine maybe next weekend...

Finally...yesterday the last of the rhizomes planted in containers back on April 18th sprouted. (That’s x2 Tahoma, x2 Comet, x2 Cascade)
Now I’m just waiting on 2 Hallertauers to sprout and I’ll be 12 for 12. Those went into containers on April 24 along with 2 Sorachi Ace and 2 Centennial.
Also getting around to prepping their eventual home. Got some elevators ordered to keep them off of the concrete. I’m probably just going to try a simple hook on the eves to secure the twine.
What I’d like to do for next year when I can save up a bit more is to see about modifying antenna or satellite mounts that can get out from under the gutters. Anyone done something like that?

Finally...yesterday the last of the rhizomes planted in containers back on April 18th sprouted. (That’s x2 Tahoma, x2 Comet, x2 Cascade)
Now I’m just waiting on 2 Hallertauers to sprout and I’ll be 12 for 12. Those went into containers on April 24 along with 2 Sorachi Ace and 2 Centennial.
Also getting around to prepping their eventual home. Got some elevators ordered to keep them off of the concrete. I’m probably just going to try a simple hook on the eves to secure the twine.
What I’d like to do for next year when I can save up a bit more is to see about modifying antenna or satellite mounts that can get out from under the gutters. Anyone done something like that?

I have not done that. Buy I do have an unused Directv dish that I plan to let my Hartwick bines crawl all over. Not sure if that counts!

You could certainly buy one of those mounts from amazon or your local Lowes or HD. I could see that working well.

I'm planning to do an eyebolt to the eves like you said...we'll see how it goes this first year!
12 for 12 is great!

I'm using pvc with two eyebolts in each to extend away from the walls. One eyebolt will be for the coir and the other will be where I will be attaching 40% shade cloth.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That looks like a good setup Code! What part of Arizona are you in?

I'm in the southern part ...Pima County. The project still has a long way to go and hopeful I receive the shade cloth soon as my plants have started to really taken off. Even the worse looking plant (Willow Creek) is looking a lot better since I transplanted it along with the others into 15 gallon grow bags about two weeks ago.

I’m wondering myself if my plants will eventually need some shade too...probably not until August.
My plants seems to love their grow bags. Been dealing with a few tiny white flies lately. I’ve got an organic insecticide and Dr. Brommer Castile soap that I’m going to alternate spraying in the evenings. I figure to get some predator bugs when my plants are already trained.
Code...what did your plants start in?

I’m wondering myself if my plants will eventually need some shade too...probably not until August.
My plants seems to love their grow bags. Been dealing with a few tiny white flies lately. I’ve got an organic insecticide and Dr. Brommer Castile soap that I’m going to alternate spraying in the evenings. I figure to get some predator bugs when my plants are already trained.
Code...what did your plants start in?

I received the plants on April 1st and planted them into 2.25-2.5 quart plant containers. Then on April 25th I transplanted them into 15 gallon grow bags. Good luck in eradicating those insects!

2 month mark observations

Despite and because of my best efforts, there are only 2 Comet and 2 Tahoma still growing and looking good from the 12 total rhizomes planted. They are about 4 feet up the twine now. There is also a Hallertauer and a Cascade that have managed to survive and are attempting to restart...but it looks to still be a tenuous situation. R.I.P. Centennial and Sorachi Ace...you deserved better.

The combined devastation of the white fly and my treatment to eradicate them was an overall depressing experience. Talking to AgExtension, white fly is a notorious pest for our area early in the growing season. I followed the directions for diluting and applying an organic insecticide, but damaged the plants as well. I further diluted it for a second application at the reemergence of white fly and again placed the plants under more stress to the point to of stunted growth, defoliation, and eventual death of the shoots.

Next year, I’m going to try a more organic approach...no more spraying. I’ll establish tons of beneficial herbs and flowers in smaller containers early in the spring. I’m also going to throw a sacrificial squash or okra somewhere out there as well. Oh...and yellow sticky traps. Then hopefully in late spring there will be a more hop-friendly environment for plant stock from a company like GLH.

Wow! Yep I had some similar RIP experiences...
Lost a sterling and Mt hood...
Replaced with Cascades on late order.
Comet and Chinook look a bit ugly at the moment...
Had similar white fly problems and used neem oil and Dr earth insectiside (all organic both of them).
I also used the yellow sticky traps...
Replanted twice with better draining soil...think I got it fixed...
Lot of work!

2 month mark observations

Despite and because of my best efforts, there are only 2 Comet and 2 Tahoma still growing and looking good from the 12 total rhizomes planted. They are about 4 feet up the twine now. There is also a Hallertauer and a Cascade that have managed to survive and are attempting to restart...but it looks to still be a tenuous situation. R.I.P. Centennial and Sorachi Ace...you deserved better.

The combined devastation of the white fly and my treatment to eradicate them was an overall depressing experience. Talking to AgExtension, white fly is a notorious pest for our area early in the growing season. I followed the directions for diluting and applying an organic insecticide, but damaged the plants as well. I further diluted it for a second application at the reemergence of white fly and again placed the plants under more stress to the point to of stunted growth, defoliation, and eventual death of the shoots.

Next year, I’m going to try a more organic approach...no more spraying. I’ll establish tons of beneficial herbs and flowers in smaller containers early in the spring. I’m also going to throw a sacrificial squash or okra somewhere out there as well. Oh...and yellow sticky traps. Then hopefully in late spring there will be a more hop-friendly environment for plant stock from a company like GLH.

Yeesh. Sounds brutal! What part of the country do you live? I’ve never heard of a white fly.

Sorry you had such a rough time! I hope things do go better next year. I'm in MA and have had issues with leaf hoppers but they certainly don't cause the damage those white flies did.

Back