Water analysis help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befus

Reaction score
Not good at this stuff. I read through about all I could find on the local water suppl web site. If you see something way off here point me in the right direction please.

Sodium 5.4 ppm
chlorine 1.24
calcium 25.6
mg. 2.1
nitrate 1.08
plt (?) 8.3
Alkalinity 53
Hardness 71

For brewing water I'd need to do what to this as a rule? :confused:

That water looks pretty good to me. Just add some gypsum and your good to go for most anything. My water, like most people's in the Rockies is way hard.

Unfortunately, water is a rubix cube of complication to wrap your head around. It takes a lot of reading and re-reading to get it sorted out. That's why most knowledgable brewers will tell you to not mess with your water except as a last resort.

Good luck and good brewing!

Water looks fine to me. Nothing real extreme about it. For 5 gallon batches (in general)
Hoppy beers - maybe a tsp of gypsum
Maltier beers - maybe a half tsp of CaCl

Things like pilsners, light beers, not much of anything. Maybe a quarter tsp of gypsum and CaCl to bring up calcium a bit.

Overall, nothing stands out in your water.

Not good at this stuff. I read through about all I could find on the local water suppl web site. If you see something way off here point me in the right direction please.

Sodium 5.4 ppm
chlorine 1.24
calcium 25.6
mg. 2.1
nitrate 1.08
plt (?) 8.3
Alkalinity 53
Hardness 71

For brewing water I'd need to do what to this as a rule? :confused:

I've given up on Beaver.... Lake Water District water. I think Rodgers is on the same water supply. I now get my brewing water from the "Primo" RO water dispenser at the neighborhood market. I then make additions based on the grist using an excel spread sheet for the additions. I have made three batches since with great success. Its just easier to start with a blank canvas (RO water) www.thesaq.net/beer/waterprofile/

I sent my tap water off to ward labs in May let me know if you want a copy.

1. Is your water Chlorinated. You list "chlorine 1.24". Is that Chlorine or Chloride? It makes a big difference.
If its Chlorine, you should use 1/2 a Campden tablet.

2. What is "plt (?) 8.3". Is it Potassium?

3. Otherwise your water looks good. Depending on the style you may want to add a teaspoon or fraction of Gypsum and/or Calcium Chloride, depending on what you are brewing and your taste. It varies by person.

Suggestion - start small - take a few ounces of beer, add a pinch of Gypsum, see if you like that. Too much will make it minerally, (Alka Seltzer).
You can also experiment with adding a pinch of Calcium Chloride to a small glass, see if you like that (for non hoppy beers)

Latest posts

Back