Flavoring Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjjohns5

Reaction score
So I was doing research on how to flavor beer and clearly the obvious technique is drop whatever you want (Vanilla, Hops, Oak, Coconut...whatever) into the secondary.

Stone is my favorite brewery, and after reading a lot on their website, it seems that they always whirlpool any flavoring additives (except for hops, naturally). In the collaboration they did, the Macadamia, Coconut, Coffee Porter, they took all of those ingredients and just stuck them in the whirlpool. They also did this with Vanilla and Orange Peel in their Vertical Epic 09-09-09.

My question, is if anyone else maybe has experience with flavoring during whirlpool? If so, how long do you do it? How did it turn out?
:mug:

I would think some flavor and aroma would get scrubbed out during fermentation. I tend to dose in the bottling bucket or keg for things like vanilla or spices.

Yeah, extracts can be added at kegging or bottling. Flavors that need time to pass into the beer should be added at secondary. Make sure the flavor material is sanitary.

Flavors like what? Cause I've had stone's vertical epic of that year and I could actually taste the vanilla. They only used the whirlpool.

Back