Can I transfer again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-rad

Reaction score
I am making a Island mist kit... when I was degassing it I was stirring very vigorsly (or however you spell it) with the small end of my spoon.. so much so that some little pieces of plastic came off the spoon..

The directions say to leave it in this carboy till I bottle but do you think I could rack this over and hopefully leave the plastics floating on top?.. Would this ruin it?..

Any opinions are appreciated

Cheers all!

If you rack now you might mess up the clearing agents and your wine won't clear properly. I think I would just wait until I was ready to bottle, then rack very carefully into the bottling bucket.

Got a drill? get one of them degassers that attach to the drill.makes it much easier. Or you can borrow mine if you'd like.. :) I won't need it til the new year when we do another batch of wine.

I am making a Island mist kit... when I was degassing it I was stirring very vigorsly (or however you spell it) with the small end of my spoon.. so much so that some little pieces of plastic came off the spoon..

The directions say to leave it in this carboy till I bottle but do you think I could rack this over and hopefully leave the plastics floating on top?.. Would this ruin it?..

Any opinions are appreciated

Cheers all!

Do not sweat it. I've had little bits of plastic from a drill-driven wine-whip degasser. Since they float (and possibly sink later) they won't get in the finished product. I've never done an Island Mist kit, but I'd say there's no problem in transferring later. I just wouldn't do it now; let the finings to their work. After a couple weeks, instead of bottling, you could rack to a clean carboy, then give it another week or two to clear. I know this postpones bottling, but it may be time well spend in clarifying the wine.

ok thanks guys.. I htinkg I will get the drill thingy for my next batch but I will wait this one out and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back