Brew Hut Raising Weekend - 4/25

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ed I know you are really tired of the building and hope you can get decent working conditions to allow you to make headway on the roofing but until then just take it easy. You deserve a rest. It has been 105F here this last week and I do not feel like doing much either. You must have some brew to try. :mug:

So what are you going to do for electricity, water and drain in the brew house?

sorry if I skipped over the post that explained this.

Edwort in '08!

I don't think it's too late to start running....is BM going to be you VP?

So what are you going to do for electricity, water and drain in the brew house? .

I'm running a 60 amp line to a sub panel with four 15 amp breakers in the brewhaus. A neighbor will bring his back hoe over to dig a french drain about 30 feet away on the down slope for the rinse water from cleaning kegs, kettles & bottles. It will be plumbed with water.

I've got to move out someplace like this, in my area they'd **** a brick about a french drain. I'm lucky they haven't outlawed turkey fryers yet ;)

Awesome project Edwort, best Man cave ever!

My roofing neighbor is out of town this weekend, so Saturday is dedicated to brewing 20 gallons of beer.

I will be putting up the ceiling over the porch on Saturday and mounting hardware for the ceiling fan and outdoor speakers.

I also picked up an 8 Way manifold like this one, except mine has the 1/4" threaded connections instead of barbed fittings.

AirDist%208%20Way.jpg

Each one has built in check valve. It will look nice mounted on the wall in the cold room. :rockin:

Saturday is dedicated to brewing 20 gallons of beer.

I will be putting up the ceiling over the porch on Saturday and mounting hardware for the ceiling fan and outdoor speakers.

Unreal... I do two 5 gallon batches in one day and I'm dead tired. You're doing twice that and then building as well. Bravo!

Unreal... I do two 5 gallon batches in one day and I'm dead tired. You're doing twice that and then building as well. Bravo!

Thanks. I gotta get stock built back up for when it gets hot. :D Should not bee too bad. Two 10 gallon batches. I'm prepping for it with starters going tonight, setting up and filling the HLT to the brim (15 gallons), and milling the grain on Friday. Saturday morning, It's up at 6:30 AM, start the burner on the HLT then make the coffee. I hope to have it done and cleaned up by early afternoon.

It comes in handy living in a very small town
It's less useful when the small town is dry and home brewing is illegal in the state, but glad it's working for you, Ed. It is true that in small towns who you know smooths things out when getting government regulated work completed.

Rick

It's less useful when the small town is dry and home brewing is illegal in the state, but glad it's working for you, Ed. It is true that in small towns who you know smooths things out when getting government regulated work completed.

Rick

Out of curiosity, how is it that there are homebrew shops in Alabama?

Out of curiosity, how is it that there are homebrew shops in Alabama?

Most likely the same reason you will find them in Utah. The items sold to make beer are classified as food items.

No law is broken right up to pitching the yeast. As soon as you add yeast, that's when you have broken their state law.

Nothing wrong with buying malt, hops, sugar, yeast, etc. Nothing wrong with selling it either.

Utah - I remember listening to basic brewing radio where some guy from Salt Lake City wrote in to ask about why his latest batch went south . Then I thought - isn't is illegal to brew there ?

Shocking ! Such flagrant disregard for law and order !

My roofing neighbor is out of town this weekend, so Saturday is dedicated to brewing 20 gallons of beer.

I also picked up an 8 Way manifold like this one, except mine has the 1/4" threaded connections instead of barbed fittings.

AirDist%208%20Way.jpg

Each one has built in check valve. It will look nice mounted on the wall in the cold room. :rockin:

will you add regulators to the lines after the manifold to control pressures for some of them, or will they all be the same pressure? I'm curious because I have a similar 1-into-3 manifold with check valves myself.

will you add regulators to the lines after the manifold to control pressures for some of them, or will they all be the same pressure? I'm curious because I have a similar 1-into-3 manifold with check valves myself.

I have 4 secondary regulators, but have not decided where to put them. I've pretty much settled on 6 taps through the wall, plus the Flower box Tap, but I still have to have a carbonating system too.

Nathan, Can you give me a link to the MFG of the CO2 manifold assembly? That is really nice.

can you simply split a beer line and run it to two taps, or is it more complicated than that?

Gotta have the apfelwein within arms reach for those humid summer nights on the brewhut porch!

WBC, do you mean mine (1-into-3) or the big one Ed's shown in the photo (I quoted his post so it showed his photo).

I can pull mine up out of the kegorator and try and get a name off it if you are looking for a 1-to-3 version of what Ed is showing. I got it at my LHBS.

the link from Korndog is exactly what mine look like as well.

i just signed up last night and found this thread and have to say well done. read all 43 or so pages. man this would be nice in my back yard but its about as big as my house ;-)

Here's what I will be installing. I had to unpack it to verify that it had check valves after someone reported that theirs did not. Whew, each valve has a check valve. I hooked it up to my 20# bottle and opened each one. You could hear the check valve opening.

8WayManifold.jpg

Very nice brew house I was lucky when I bought my house it had a large shop building with concrete floor.
But I think you should take that husky to that live oak on your roof. They grow fast and in a few years it will fill that space then in strong winds it’s going to be rubbing, and then cracking your top plate and more.
If you want that Brew Hut to last till your son is at least hafe your age kill it and have a fire.

my wife is a tree hugger to, so this is how I handle stuff like this, I go to the nursery and get a pretty tree like a weeping cherry, crab apple, tulip tree ect, then cut it down the offending tree (with out asking) it had to go for the greater good but look honey I got this new beautiful tree, and if it can mark some thing (like anniversary birthday ect) extra bonus

The brew house is only sitting on blocks, so if Ed has to move it away from the tree in the future, he can. I might consider making the stationary things like the underground electricity and water connections able to be moved as well.

Or just Huskify the tree :)

i just signed up last night and found this thread and have to say well done. read all 43 or so pages. man this would be nice in my back yard but its about as big as my house ;-)

I built a garage, and through some happy accidents (that cost me nothing) it got 3 feet taller than planned and now looks bigger than my house as you are driving up. It's not really, (it's close to that tall, though, just 900sqft) but it looks it. :) Guys LOVE my garage, the women... not so much. I think it may have an impact at sales time, though.

I built a garage, and through some happy accidents (that cost me nothing) it got 3 feet taller than planned and now looks bigger than my house as you are driving up. It's not really, (it's close to that tall, though, just 900sqft) but it looks it. :) Guys LOVE my garage, the women... not so much. I think it may have an impact at sales time, though.

It might sell quicker.

:tank:

Work will begin on the other side of the roof tomorrow. More pics after the weekend.

Happy Independence Day to all!

Back