Pilsner ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clanchief

Reaction score
So I'm getting a bunch of Pilsner malt that was too good to pass up in a group buy (around 27 lbs. worth). However, I do not have the capability to lager things. What would be the best choices for yeasts for something like this. I was thinking a California Common yeast strain, like the WLP001 or the Wyeast 2112 as options. But then again, I'm wondering if there's just a really good clean ale yeast that I could use also.

Thanks.

The "clean" profile of yeast has a lot to do with temperature, and not just variety. How cold can you ferment? If you can maintain a steady 60-65, which is very doable indoors with swamp coolers/ice, you'll get a pretty clean profile from many American ale strains, and also from California lager yeast (which is WLP 810, by the way--001 is an ale yeast). But if it will work with your beer, you could also use Scottish, altbier, or kolsch yeasts. Those generally temperatures down to about 55. Then again, if you can hit 55, you can just use a normal lager yeast!

Another option would be to use your pils malt for a Belgian or German ale, since those are often based on pilsner.

The problem is I can't really ferment much below 68. I don't have a fermentation chamber, nor the room for one right now. I use my basement, which holds to a pretty consistent 68 temp year round, a little warmer in winter actually. But that's it. It's the reason I know I won't be doing any actual lagering anytime soon.

If you have 68F ambient, you could definitely get it into the lower 60s for at least the first few days if you put it in an ice bath or used a swamp cooler. You only REALLY need to maintain the lower temperature for the first 48-72 hours of fermentation, because that's when most of the flavor compounds are produced. I don't really think you'll get something truly clean and neutral if you can't go below the high 60s. But you can still make plenty of delicious beers with pilsner malt at 68F. Kolsch would be a good choice.

Back