Beer and the environment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paper-free labelled beer (no trees are sacrificed with paint-on logos) is also a sound eco choice.

Oh please. Paper is about as renewable a resource as you can get. Cut one tree down, plant 2 or 3 more in its spot.

What if the paint used for the logos isn't biodegradable? Then which is the 'sound eco choice'?

Thalon said:
Oh please. Paper is about as renewable a resource as you can get. Cut one tree down, plant 2 or 3 more in its spot.

What if the paint used for the logos isn't biodegradable? Then which is the 'sound eco choice'?

Its not just about the resource itself but also the energy that goes into producing/recycling it.

My take home message:

Brew your own d*mn beer at home and save the planet:rockin:

It's amazing that enviromentalists will dig to this extreme to discover things that "harm the environment". Everything we do anymore is destroying the environment. With all of the other pollution sources out there, this isn't even a drop in the bucket.

Do you know how much sand it takes to make glass? We are stripping our beaches of their right to be covered so that we can have silly glass to put our beer in, selfish.

That was quite possibly the worst article I've ever read. Did an enviro-freak high school student write that? That journalistic garbage lacked any empirical evidence to convince me of anything other than the fact that beer does indeed exist on a commercial scale. 2.2% of Europeans have fish-related allergies due to Isinglass? Seriously, you've got to come up with something better than that!

I'm going to go picket outside McDonald's to get the styrofoam burger holders back.

The world is going to end in 10 days, so quick, brew a batch of beer.

Man, I have to drink green beer again!:mug:

Willy Boner said:
The world is going to end in 10 days, so quick, brew a batch of beer.

Man, I have to drink green beer again!:mug:

I'm glad I'm stocked up. I took 10 days vacation, so I should be able to finish it before the world ends......on my Birthday...9/11

KeezerAlmostFull.jpg

I agree it is a terrible article, Yuri. Well said.

As far as homebrew being good for the environment, you better take a look at the efficiency of those high output burners before making a statement like that.

Beerrific said:
Do you know how much sand it takes to make glass? We are stripping our beaches of their right to be covered so that we can have silly glass to put our beer in, selfish.

But These Guys, are returning the glass back to its origins.

Cheers

:confused: Edwort ,you have 12 kegs and only 9 days. Maybe you should send a couple of those my way so there is no waste!:mug:

Willy Boner said:
:confused: Edwort ,you have 12 kegs and only 9 days. Maybe you should send a couple of those my way so there is no waste!:mug:

Ahh, but that was a few days ago and 9/11 is my birthday, so a few friends will be over to help finish in time for the end. :D

8 days left. Darn global warming!

I know I'm a little late here, but I just read that article. My degree and background is in environmental science and that was one of the most poorly written (scientifically) alarmist articles I've read. Seriously, hops is 5% of beer? Well, if I brew a 10 gallon batch with 20 pounds of grain, should I use a pound of hops? And that isinglass story... that's halarious. Where is the science behind the causes of fish allergies in "Europe"? The alarmist environmentalists do that stuff all the time... pull pseudo-science and statistics out of their a$$es to support their personal agenda. Oh, and the hand-drawn picture of a glass of beer with "the part that gets you drunk"... classic. Some of her research material must have been pre-1850 because she only mentioned yeast in reference to isinglass... "Though beer once consisted purely of water, barley and hops..." (Sorry, but I HATE articles like that!)

Yep, junk science & emotion, all designed to take more control over how you live your life as well as confiscate more of your hard earned income.

It's amazing how many people just roll over and give it up to loons like the author of this article.

Back