To my Utah friends...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbmikey

Reaction score
OK so I live in NW Ohio in a semi-rural area. It's ok but I'm getting tired of living in the rust belt. We have 4 seasons here: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter and Construction (also known as hot and humid).

Earlier this year my wife and I went on vacation to Vegas, but we actually spent more time in southern Utah at Zion park, Hurricane, St George and the like. I absolutely loved it down there. The weather was awesome, the people were awesome and we just fell in love with the general area.

Well we've been thinking about relocating to Colorado but now Utah has our interest too.

Does anyone have any feedback/opinions on why we would want or not want to move to Utah? We love our semi-rural area we're in now and it looks like Utah has lots of rural areas.

I've read that the Provo/Salt Lake area is booming and the economy is decent, plus it's a good place to raise a family. (we have 2 daughters, 8 and 15)

What do you think? Am I crazy or right on? Anyone? Bueller?

If you can find a decent job and don't have a mortgage on a house that is now worth less than you owe...go for it! Ohio is one state I would NEVER move to but I've always lived in the southeast and gulf coast and Virginia is as far north as I go because I hate snow and ice. I have spent a lot of time in CO Springs, Albuquerque, and Boise and I love the west! I would move to Albuquerque in a heartbeat if I had a job there.

Yep that's the plan. I've been looking in my spare time but it's time to ramp that up here very soon. Nope, no mortgages holding us down.

Thanks Jayhem!

I've spent a little time around Panguitch & Cedar City areas, very nice. I've seen more deer in those areas than almost anywhere else. Can't say what the job situation is around there as I was just visiting, but I do like the terrain & the climate as well as the flora & fauna. And Wasatch Brewing is in Park City, they make a pretty tasty scotch ale:
http://www.wasatchbeers.com/beers.html
Regards, GF.

I love the national parks and outdoor recreation opportunities in Utah, but if you are interested in craft beer, Utah is almost the worst possible state you can live in.

There are more microbreweries opening here in Utah, all is not lost :)
I have lived here over 45 years with a short stint in Jackson Hole. Still some rural areas around, Utah is a pretty good state for jobs in the trades.
I dont like the winters much. If you ski or like to ride sleds, winter can be your friend here. Skiing has gotten way too expensive for me, i can make alot of beer for the price of one lift ticket.
Not any big breweries, wife and I have been tossing around moving to Oregon and spending some time in a brewery.

PM me if you wish with any specific, or general, questions.

Utah is growing... it's a different place now from when I was a kid as in mormon vs normal..lol.. people aren't pushing their beliefs onto my kids like they did with me.. its becoming more diverse and enjoyable for visitors here in salt lake.. lots of great craft beers with Uinta growing and expanding adding another couple hundred jobs and epics passion for getting the outdated laws changed.. we're not far from most anything you want to do but the ocean..lol.. gambling is only a hour away and so is the Idaho state lottery.. mountain's, lakes, trails, scenic drives, you name it!!

Thanks for all the input everyone! I'm not too worried about availability of microbrew. I can make damn near anything I want to try anyway, right? :D

We're not very social animals and we're not gamblers either. The wife and I like going to Vegas to people watch more than anything.

I do enjoy skiing but I haven't been in many years, I'm a very boring dude really. More than anything it's been a general lack of funds that keeps us from having hobbies to speak of.

Well it sounds like we're on the right track here and I will welcome any other feedback or advice on where to go or to stay away from!

I've been in Utah for 15 years and counting...pretty good place to be.

Perhaps more than other States...location here can make a huge difference. If you want desert..St George is great, but a little more $$ than the rest of Utah. If you are not LDS I would probably avoid Utah County (Lehi, Provo, Orem) and the Bountiful area.

What kind of work are you seeking?

All I know is that area is GORGEOUS! I travel to Vegas for business conventions fairly regularly and I always try to take an extra day for some Zion hikes. :)

Latest posts

Back