Belgian Triple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj_van_gilder

Reaction score
I ordered a kit from Northern Brewer for a Belgian Tripple. The instructions show OG: 1073 / Ready: 3 months. Is this 3 months the time it should spend in the carboy? Or could that include the time I keep it in the keg after I have carbonated it?
Wyeast #3787 Trappist High Gravity.
I aerated the wort with 02 using a difusion stone (.5 micron), and I have it in a thermostat controled fridge set at 72 degrees F. Carboy temp this morning showed 74 F.

I would leave it in whichever you use as a secondary for the three months. I would not recommend carbonating it before then, but I don't think it would hurt.(except that you might drink it all before the 3 months!)

I would add that three months in the bottle is probably the absolute minimum to condition a triple. It would probably continue to improve after that.

Mine's been bottled around 3 months now, probably time to test one.

triple's are usually a higher OG, and thus higher alcohol content. thus you age them longer to get a better overall flavor.

you could secondary it for a couple weeks, then keg it, add Co2 just to displace the normal air inside the keg (so it stays 'sanitized') and then keg condition at room temp for the remaining months.
then put it in the cold.

I think I'm going to transfer it to a secondary carboy once fermentation settles down a bit to settle out some more, and then transfer it to a keg to condition. When I'm ready to carbonate it I'll transfer it to another keg and the force carbonate it over about a week at 10psi. I know that most Belgian brews are a bit more carbonated than other beer styles so I'll try it before I bottle it.
I checked the SG tonight and its at 1.022 from an OG of 1.073.

Back