Steeping grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comer88888

Reaction score
I have searched the forum and really haven't got a definitive answer on how much water i should steep my grains in. I am not mashing. I am steeping specialty grains. thanks for the help.

Most kits will tell you. The brewers best ones are almost all 2.5 gallons. Then add the DME or LME and boil, then top up with water to make 5 gallons.

"How to Brew" states 1 Gallon per 1 Pound of specialty grains. 150F for 30 minutes.

The book doesn't tell you to cover or try to maintain the temperature for that period. I'm not sure if it's important, but you'd loose about 25F if left uncovered. My guess is that maintaining the temperature is better than not but it's not worth trying too hard.

The water to grain ratio has to be determined to keep the pH from going too high in any type of water. Specialty grain typically has low pH in distilled water (4.6-5.1), and that still is in the 5.3 range with water with high alkalinity. My guess is that low pH is ok for steeping and the water to grain ratio is to keep the pH very safely out of a high range that would extract tannins.

I get most of my ingredients/kits from Midwest Supplies. On all the kits that I have brewed with specialty grains they say that brewing with a full 5 gallons gets better hop utilization, less darkening of your wort, and a better tasting beer.

I've steeped grains in a full 5 gallons every time, so Im not sure how the results differ when only steeping with a couple gallons.

My first batch is in the fermenter and I steeped the grains in the full wort pot with water. So far it smells and looks great.

However, I'm a noob so YMMV.

Back