Scalded Dog IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm stranded in the great frozen north about four hours from home.

I went and picked up two bottles of Two Hearted. It is way hoppier than what I brewed. It is also lighter mouth feel. Go figure. I thought I doubled up on hops to match the double recipe, plus additional for the dry leaf hops. I'll have to check my math.

I'm home in my warm house tonight finishing off my third and heading for bed.

I really like this stuff.

:D

Isn't 72C (~162F) the very highest you'll ever want to go, in order to have Alpha-amylase convert some of the most stubborn starch?
BUT- after the Alpha-amylase breaks it down then the Beta-amylase acts on it.
At 162 you've basically denatured ALL the enzymes as Yooper said.
Also, I think in addition to too much crystal you should consider Centennial in your hop schedule.

BUT- after the Alpha-amylase breaks it down then the Beta-amylase acts on it.
At 162 you've basically denatured ALL the enzymes as Yooper said.
Also, I think in addition to too much crystal you should consider Centennial in your hop schedule.

That's because lower temperature mashes (131-150) favor beta amylase. A higher mash temp (154-164) favors alpha amylase, which will produce a "thicker" bodied beer.

govner1

That's what I was shooting for. It's been a while since I stole/modified this recipe. I vaguely remember being told that the crystal would give a heavier mouth feel.

In my personal view Two Hearted has more body than a lot of other IPAs. That's just my personal read. I had initially targeted the mid-one-sixties, I fell short into the 150s.

I'd keep your OG @ 1.060. Use about 10% Dark Munich & 6% C-20. If you're trying for Two Hearted stick w/ 100% Centennial.
Mash @ 149 & use WY1272. SRM should be about 10 & ABV 7%.
You might also consider a 75 min boil.

Last edited:
Back