WLP002 vs WLP028

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estonerook

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Can someone tell me if there will be a major difference in using the wlp English vs Edinburgh ale yeasts for a smoked scotch ale? Didn't realize the local hb shop washboard for labor day and only have the English on hand! Thanks.

estonerook said:
Hey everyone. Can someone tell me if there will be a major difference in using the wlp English vs Edinburgh ale yeasts for a smoked scotch ale? Didn't realize the local hb shop washboard for labor day and only have the English on hand! Thanks.

*was closed...auto correct fail

It may depend on your gravity but I'd say the 002 will make a great heavy (Stay below 10%). Other than that the only BIG difference I see is that the 002 culture will mute the hop character somewhat whereas the 028 culture does not. I doubt this will matter much in a scotch ale though.

Here is a link to white labs cultures: http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains.html

Also, you could use wyeasts 1728 if your shop has that, it is the same culture as WLP028.:mug:

Thanks a lot. I thought the muted hops would be the biggest difference. I guess I'll pitch the 002. I appreciate the opinion!

If you pitch English yeast into a "smoked scotch ale" then expect a visit from William Wallace, who will ride into your bed chamber on horseback at night, and cave your head in with a ball and chain.

IF ITS NOT SCOTTISH, IT'S CRAP!!

Latest posts

Back