does bottle color matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tieflyer

Reaction score
I have been told clear bottles are bad for beer, green isn't much better, blue is ok, and brown/amber is the best. is this true? :mug:

Hi there, and welcome. Colour certainly does matter. Brown all the way, or else keep them out of the light. I wouldn't think even blue would be any good (as it's UV light that is the problem, and blue wouldn't be a good filter for that), but I haven't heard either way.

It's blue light as well. Even if you protect it from UV 100%, blue can skunk beer.

Wait, if blue light is bad wouldn't blue bottles in fact be the best for protecting from that? If I recall my high school physics right (and I probably don't) the color of an object is an indication of the light it is reflecting. So if your bottle is blue then it is reflecting blue light rather than letting it into the beer.

Of course I think that only really counts for solid objects, something opaque probably works differently. Ignore me, I've been drinking. :drunk:

Wait, if blue light is bad wouldn't blue bottles in fact be the best for protecting from that? If I recall my high school physics right (and I probably don't) the color of an object is an indication of the light it is reflecting. So if your bottle is blue then it is reflecting blue light rather than letting it into the beer.

Of course I think that only really counts for solid objects, something opaque probably works differently. Ignore me, I've been drinking. :drunk:

I think you have it backwards. A blue screen will let blue light through. That's why it appears blue.

That's why black works best, hard to come by black light.

The other argument is appeal..I do not think a porter or stout would look as tasty in a green or blue bottle... :D

Back