1st time wine maker, fining agent question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zag38

Reaction score
I made a cherry wine 3 gal batch, was in primary for 4 weeks, then transferred to 5 gal secondary .

Today I transfered my secondary (after 2 1/2 weeks of sitting, which had 1/2" lees in the botthom) to a 3 gal carboy, and added the fining agent, Super Kleer. After 1 hour of putting in there I have 1" of lees already, I know super kleer takes up to 72 hrs to clear. Ater that, do I let it bulk age with the 1" of lees, or how long to let it sit to transfer to age?

thanks

Frank

I wouldn't bulk age it on the lees, even though its not going to be that much. Its the 'gross lees' from primary that can lead to autolysis down the road.

are you sorbating/sulfiting? I've never really bulk aged, I like to get mead and wine into the bottle to free up a carboy.

I used potassium metalisulphite. 1/8 tsp when it went into the secondary, then today I add another 1/8 tsp when I transferred to the 3 gall carboy. I was going to let it age a little bit due to the fact I used super distillers yeast. I can taste the cherry flavor (not as much as I would like)

btw.. here is the recipe I used (my mom's from 20 yrs ago):

4lbs of bing cherries (I used the big can of Vinter's Harvest Cherry)
3 lemons
10lbs sugar
3 gallons of water
1/2 cake yeast (I used 3 packs of super distillers yeast, 1 pack is for 1 gallon of water)
4lbs raisins (put in primary after 1 week of fermintation.

I've never used super distiller's yeast, but I make quite a bit of wine.

Wait until it's clear, and then rack again to a new carboy. You don't want to age on the lees. I rack every 30-45 days, whenever there are 1/4" of lees present, or whenever there are lees after about 3 months. Once it stops throwing lees, you can bulk age. Make sure you keep it topped up, too.

Let the lees compact for about a week and a 1/2 and that will let you rack off them without disturbing them so easy. When I add a fining agent (Dont use any more unless I have a very stubborn wine) I add them and then tilt the carboy to 1 side with a wedge so that al the lees fall to 1 side and when ready to rack I gently tilt carboy to other side and rack off the shallow end leaving all that behind with much less problems of disturbing the wine and getting more wine from your batch.

The lees compacted down from 1" to 3/8", only problem now is it isnt crystal clear any more. It clouded up a bit after the co2 bubbles started.

Was I supposed to degass before the fining agent?

Back