Bottle Conditioning Lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerOfDoom

Reaction score
Is there enough yeast left after lagering to bottle condition like a normal bottle conditioned ale? Just wondering I want to put a few in bottles and will be kegging on Sat.

I had a pilsner in the lagering freezer for three months and it still carbed fine in the bottle.
The only time that I add yeast is to a high % beer that's been aging a long time.

I was just wondering this myself. I'm making my first lager today with superior lager yeast. I imagine it'll take about three weeks.

I was thinking that I might have to make a yeast starter at bottling. It sounds like I don't.

I imagine if you just use a primary that plenty of yeast goes into the bottling bucket.

This is what I found;

A dry lager yeast from Australia. Medium flocculation, beers made from this yeast require extra time to settle out. Attenuation 75-78%. 7 gram pack. We found that the Superior Lager Yeast performed well at temperatures in the 50s and low 60s. Making it ideal for cooler garages, cellars, and homes.​

You could say this is warm fermenting lager. Don't know if it classifies this a steam -style lager. The temp is convienent, nearly perfect for my basement temperature. Its about 62'F now, and will slowly drop to about 54-56'F as fall progresses into winter.

I considered this one too;

Product Description:
Saflager S-23 (11.5 grams): This yeast may be found in many Western European lagers. While this yeast will ferment well in lagers and pilsners at slightly higher temperatures (between 59 and 68 degrees Farenheit), the estery, fruity tones produced by this yeast are better developed at lower temperatures (between 49 and 57 degrees Farenheit).
This kind of seems ass-backwards with regard to dry vs fruity developement and the stated temp. :confused:

Schlenkerla said:
I considered this one too;
Product Description:
Saflager S-23 (11.5 grams): This yeast may be found in many Western European lagers. While this yeast will ferment well in lagers and pilsners at slightly higher temperatures (between 59 and 68 degrees Farenheit), the estery, fruity tones produced by this yeast are better developed at lower temperatures (between 49 and 57 degrees Farenheit).
This kind of seems ass-backwards with regard to dry vs fruity developement and the stated temp. :confused:
They should fire their proof reader. It should read something like :

Saflager S-23 (11.5 grams): This yeast may be found in many Western European lagers. While this yeast will ferment well in lagers and pilsners at slightly higher temperatures (between 59 and 68 degrees Farenheit), the estery, fruity tones produced by this yeast are avoided by fermenting at lower temperatures (between 49 and 57 degrees Farenheit).

Back