Homebrewing vs. Storebought

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey

Reaction score
I am writing a compare and contrast paper for one of my classes. I felt this forum would be the perfect place to gather some information,

What do you feel that brewing your own beer has on buying it at the store?

Why do you sometimes decide to just buy some beer?

What are some of the negative aspects of home brewing?

anything else I should include?
the more info the better, thanks

:mug:

A feeling of "doing it yourself" satisfaction.
Sometimes you just want to try something
It takes up a good deal of time

These are just simple, one sentence answers. I'm sure others will give you more, I just wrote the first thing that popped into my head. Hope that helps
:mug:[/QUOTE]

I would talk about Kant versus Utilitarianism, or Neo-Clasical Economics versus Keynesian. In my experience, Professors don't really like papers about beer, even if they like beer itself.

That being said, I think that largest difference is creation instead of consumption. Why bake a pie instead of picking one up from Walmart? Why have a garden instead of just going to a farmers' market? They all have the same answers.

The satisfaction of a product I made myself. The whole process. I love geeking out on my hobbies, so brewing is perfect. I love being creative, and brewing to style. Beer is hands down the best drink ever created by man. I feel proud that I konw how to make it.

The local beer/liquor stoer has an incredible beer selection. I can only have 2 beers on tap at a time. Sometimes I want variety. Also, there are so many good microbrews out there. I've said this before, but I probably buy more commercial beer since I started homebrewing.

Absolutely nothing. Well, maybe when you are pouring a pint, and half way through...pffffffft. That sucks.

I like that when I brew a beer I get to brew for what I like. I don't have to make a profit on my product so it does not have to be something everyone will like. I can make it just how I want it and that is it. I love how I feel with MY pint in my hand.

Great idea on a paper.

Have you ever ridden a unicorn into a rainbow while hi-fiving Jesus? It's a lot like that.

:mug:

What do you feel that brewing your own beer has on buying it at the store? Agreed with above. Basically by making it myself I feel more involved with my creation. I am less likely to ever go crazy on drinking my own home brew (I have a DAS BOOT that I have not put a homebrew in and never will since it should be enjoyed not just chugged). Also having a BBQ or a party is a different experience when you have your own homebrews as the main item to drink because it turns into a tasting and critiquing.

Why do you sometimes decide to just buy some beer? For cooking or to stockpile for a large gathering... and then I only buy pop-top bottle beers (Sam Adams primarily) so I can cycle the empties into my collection...

What are some of the negative aspects of home brewing? The amount of money spent and will be spent to increase my brewing abilities. Another "negative" aspect could be the cleaning and sanitizing of equipment for a non contaminated finished product. But since I like a clean kitchen anyways and having my "workshop" clean it keeps the SWMBO off my back and positive to the hobby.

1) The different levels of homebrewing (Mr Beer kits, extract, partial, and All Grain).
2) The innovation used to create brew and to build home brew equipment (have you checked out the DIY section??) :rockin:
3) Community - from forums such as this, to homebrew shops, to homebrew friends and groups... Just like any bike group I belong to or Army organization we help each other out and always out to taste and critique a homebrew :mug: :tank:
4) Home brewing is as close as the following that you can get to awsome
awsome.jpeg

lobster-knife-fight-demotivational-poster.jpg

Back