Using Krups Beertender w/ generic 5L Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovestojam

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been looking at the Krups Beertender for some time, and I'm wondering if anyone has any perspective on whether or not the system will work with generic 5L min-kegs, that I can get at my local homebrewing store. Or, if it will only work with the proprietary Heineken mini kegs.

Thanks!

LTJ:mug:

The connection for Heineken kegs is different from the normal mini kegs so you will need adaptors for it. Make sure the unit comes with these adaptors and try to find some reviews which say that they do. I remember when researching this a while back that people kept complaing that the adaptors did not work.

OTOH this might already be for non- heiny kegs. It has to state specifically which one it is for since they make units for both.

I will say that I was kind of okay with the Party star system which allows for these kegs in your own fridge but I was only okay with it. In the end I spent the equivalent of an entry level real kegging system for much less performance.

My biggest complaint was the quality of the carb and pour using the co2 cartridges. It is possible to get a decent pour if you are careful with pressurization but it seems like a moving target; what is okay today becomes overcarbed tomorrow or the reverse.

If you absolutely have no space for a kegerator system then this might be an okay solution but do not head this way if you think you will be saving money because more than likely you will end up with both purchases down the road.

Those things are pretty expensive from what Ive seen...+/- 200$...Get yourself an old fridge or a dorm sized one, a CO2 tank and a picnic faucet...May be a tad bit more moneywise but you will have a larger quantity and much better beer than a Heineken...Just my opinion

i was curious about these units several months ago, so i went out and bought a minikeg of heineken on sale at the local supermarket for $15.99 for testing purposes....

i've learned that beertender is a trademark for the kegging system, which was developed by heineken and krups but other manufacturers make beertender-compatable machines as well. the systems have been available in europe for a few years and several brands are packaged in beertender kegs, but so far in the states heineken is the only brand available.

the heineken kegs come with a tap/spout assembly that snaps onto the valve on the top of the keg, that is intended to be placed in a refrigerator for cooling. the beertender units don't use this tap/spout, instead they use a disposable, single-use tapping line that fits in the beertender's tap assembly. a few spares come with the machines but you have to order more when they're used up.... the machine's tap isn't an actual faucet, it's just a holder/actuator for the valve in the disposable tapping line

the beertender keg itself is made from steel and is not reusable. it is pre-pressurized so no co2 cartridges are used in the machines. as a result, the machines can't dispense from "standard" 5l mini kegs, although the kegs will physically fit into the machines. as far as i know, there are no adapters available...

In other words, if you want to have one of these little mini keg refrig/dispensers that use the refillable reusable standard minikegs then do not buy the beertender version. There are several other name brands (Avanti comes to mind) that are designed for these units.

Link to the Avanti: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SB8EMC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back