Barley Crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgo737

Reaction score
Wow, does anyone not use a drill to cursh with the BC? I used arm strength and man, it was work!

i used it without a drill for a short time. i got my BC right after moving into my house and i had lost my cordless drill for a few weeks until i opened the right box. i think i did two batches that way...it just seemed to take forever to get 10+ pounds of grain crushed.

Every batch...every week (sometimes 2x per week) since January. And I condition my malt which makes it even harder to turn.

I don't get nearly enough exercise but in the last 4-5 months I've been doing this my weenie arms have gotten...less weenie. I def feel it when I'm done. It's actually holding down the BC that takes half the effort.

I just condition the malt...let it sit to absorb the moisture while I portion out and treat my water...and then I grind the malt while the strike water is heating. So it doesn't add too much time to the brewday.

Between that, using a little 1' long wooden spoon as a mash paddle, and all the lifting of pots/carboys/buckets my arms get a bit of a workout during a brewday. But I need it.:D

...and boy are my arms tired!

I did it a couple of times. My 7 year old daughter even help me out once. Then I thought I'd hook my cordless drill up and see what happened. Now I've become lazy.

slightly :off:

I use a drill, but I run it fairly slow. Can I crank that sucker up to full speed without sacrificing quality?

Guess I could just experiment, but I get no post count for that.

I do it by hand. The one drill I have has no speed controll and the other one isn't powerfull enough.

It really isn't that hard to mill through 10-15 pounds of grain. I find that the resistance is actually quite low. It just takes a bit of time. (maybe 5-7 minutes.)

I think I even got better efficiency with the drill. I have a old and heavy 1/2 inch Milwaukee on it. Even hard wheat goes right through. I tried the raw wheat by hand and that was a real chore.

212.JPG

Every batch...every week (sometimes 2x per week) since January. And I condition my malt which makes it even harder to turn.

I don't get nearly enough exercise but in the last 4-5 months I've been doing this my weenie arms have gotten...less weenie.

You need this as you avatar then...

359697015_517a5ea5d4.jpg

Crop it up a little of course

:D

Yes I see how that button could get tiring. You must use gloves to keep from wearing out your finger...... lehr, you sure do excellent work!! :mug: Wish I had the skills and money for that matter to put build a brew rig and milling system like yours! Bravo Zulu , cudos and escalades. :rockin:

I hand cranked mine the first time for about 20 revolutions, quickly figured out that I'm to old, and have way to many tools for this crap!

bc.jpg

I've hand crushed so far. After my Bavarian Hefe, which was 60% wheat malt, I'm seriously considering rigging up a drill.

Yes I see how that button could get tiring. You must use gloves to keep from wearing out your finger...... lehr, you sure do excellent work!! :mug: Wish I had the skills and money for that matter to put build a brew rig and milling system like yours! Bravo Zulu , cudos and escalades. :rockin:

Thanks and a bravo tango foxtrot to you !
Pat

Back