Help Make A Toffee Nut Brown Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackers252

Reaction score
My Fiance fell in love with DuClaw's Euphoria (micro-brew in Maryland). I am not too familiar with Brown Ales but would love to make a batch for her. Here is a link to the beer:
http://www.duclaw.com/beers.aspx

And here is the breakdown:
Style: Toffe Nut Brown Ale
Color: Dark Brown
Hop Variety: Fuggle
Grains: Pale, Crystal, Carawheat, Chocolate and Rye Malts
Bitterness: 22 BU's
Gravity: 12 plato
Alcohol Content: 4.8% abv

Never had it, but from what is posted it's not hard to work out a recipe approximation. Or you could just email the brewery...

Anyways, I bet something like this would get you close:

71% Pale Malt or MO
8% Dark Crystal (60-80L)
5% Carawheat,
3% Chocolate malt (and/or)
3-4% Chocolate Rye or Rye Malt

Fuggles @ 60 for 22bu & 0.5oz fuggles flameout / 1.048 SG/ WY1968-wlp002

The reason I chose wy1968 is that it is used by a lot of small brewpubs and it flocculates very well and lends a nice caramel flavor to the beer. Some people do have problems with it not attenuating enough for them, but I have never had such a problem.

Hell, I might have to brew this recipe myself. It looks pretty good!

My Fiance fell in love with DuClaw's Euphoria (micro-brew in Maryland). I am not too familiar with Brown Ales but would love to make a batch for her. Here is a link to the beer:
http://www.duclaw.com/beers.aspx

And here is the breakdown:
Style: Toffe Nut Brown Ale
Color: Dark Brown
Hop Variety: Fuggle
Grains: Pale, Crystal, Carawheat, Chocolate and Rye Malts
Bitterness: 22 BU's
Gravity: 12 plato
Alcohol Content: 4.8% abv

If you want toffee flavors, try using a UK light crystal ~ 40L or Carastan. Most of your toffee flavor will come from a crystal addition. You don't want a darker crystal if you want toffee.

If you want toffee flavors, try using a UK light crystal ~ 40L or Carastan. Most of your toffee flavor will come from a crystal addition. You don't want a darker crystal if you want toffee.

Yup. Lighter for toffee. Dark if you want caramel. I kept thinking this was a caramel brown.

Thanks guys. I am going to play around on BrewMastersWarehouse's Brew Builder and run it by you prior to purchase it!

Yup. Lighter for toffee. Dark if you want caramel. I kept thinking this was a caramel brown.

Well this is how they explain it:

"This creamy, medium bodied, dark brown pint of liquid bliss combines smooth drinkability with a jubilant swirl of caramel, almond, and toffee flavors to leave you in a state of ecstasy."

Do you think the 60L might be a good compromise?

Never had it, but from what is posted it's not hard to work out a recipe approximation. Or you could just email the brewery...

Anyways, I bet something like this would get you close:

71% Pale Malt or MO
8% Dark Crystal (60-80L)
5% Carawheat,
3% Chocolate malt (and/or)
3-4% Chocolate Rye or Rye Malt

Fuggles @ 60 for 22bu & 0.5oz fuggles flameout / 1.048 SG/ WY1968-wlp002

The reason I chose wy1968 is that it is used by a lot of small brewpubs and it flocculates very well and lends a nice caramel flavor to the beer. Some people do have problems with it not attenuating enough for them, but I have never had such a problem.

Hell, I might have to brew this recipe myself. It looks pretty good!

Stupid question, but those percentages only add up to around 90%. Am I missing something? How do you convert them to pounds?

Stupid question, but those percentages only add up to around 90%. Am I missing something? How do you convert them to pounds?

Not a stupid question, bad math. Here is the recipe converted for 5 gallons.

7.0 lbs Pale Malt
0.75 Crystal 80L
0.50 Carawheat
0.25 Chocolate Malt (400L)
0.25 Rye Malt/Flaked Rye

Carawheat is a crystal malt itself (40L) and will add some of those toffee flavors as mentioned. A dark crystal gives more caramel and dark fruit, 80L is my preferred choice for browns. As is, we're sitting at around 15% crystal malts with those lbs. That is pretty much as high as I would go, especially depending on your yeast choice and mash temps. Chocolate malt is Muntons at 3% which is about perfect. The only thing I am a little unsure of is the rye. I don't know what type they use though 3% of either wont hurt and will help with head retention.

I'd probably go with a mash temp of 152F and ferment with either WY1968 if you have good fermentation control or with something a little more attenuative and clean like Pacman. This recipe comes out to O.G: 1.048 and 19 SRM.

Good luck!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help. This sat for two months in the primary and two weeks on CO2. My fiance' absolutely loves this brew. It's not as sweet and caramely as DuClaws, she still loves it. I'm actually glad it's not as sweet anyway, I find it much more drinkable.

So thanks guys for your help on making a great recipe that I'll make many more times.

I contacted DuClaw. Below is their homebrewer's version of Euphoria. Brewed this up yesterday, had to make some substitues, but the wort looks, smells and tastes great, can't wait until it's finished!

ProMash Recipe Printout

Recipe : Euphoria

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

10-B Brown Ale, Northern Brown

Min OG: 1.040 Max OG: 1.050
Min IBU: 15 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 12 Max Clr: 30 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (GAL): 5.00 Wort Size (GAL): 5.00
Total Grain (LBS): 8.38
Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 13.2
Anticipated SRM: 14.0
Anticipated IBU: 16.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
89.6 7.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
3.0 0.25 lbs. Crystal 150L Great Britain 1.033 150
3.0 0.25 lbs. CaraWheat France 1.035 40
3.0 0.25 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
1.5 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.90 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.50 16.4 First WH

Yeast
-----

WLP001 - American Ale

I contacted DuClaw. Below is their homebrewer's version of Euphoria. Brewed this up yesterday, had to make some substitues, but the wort looks, smells and tastes great, can't wait until it's finished!

ProMash Recipe Printout

Recipe : Euphoria

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

10-B Brown Ale, Northern Brown

Min OG: 1.040 Max OG: 1.050
Min IBU: 15 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 12 Max Clr: 30 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (GAL): 5.00 Wort Size (GAL): 5.00
Total Grain (LBS): 8.38
Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 13.2
Anticipated SRM: 14.0
Anticipated IBU: 16.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
89.6 7.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
3.0 0.25 lbs. Crystal 150L Great Britain 1.033 150
3.0 0.25 lbs. CaraWheat France 1.035 40
3.0 0.25 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
1.5 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.90 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.50 16.4 First WH

Yeast
-----

WLP001 - American Ale

How did this end up turning out for you?

How did this end up turning out for you?

I'm kinda curious about this myself as I'm currently enjoying a Euforia as I type. I gotta wonder though... why isn't any coffee listed in the ingredients as this one clearly has coffee in it (it's quite noticeable). Here's what DuClaw has to say about it:

"Based on the English Brown Ale, The Toffee Nut Brown Ale is a style with little, but interesting history— because we invented it! Where the classic English Brown ends, Euforia begins with the addition of two gourmet coffees specially ground just for this unique style: English Toffee and Butterscotch Toffee. These not so secret ingredients infuse this little brown ale with giant flavors of toffee, nuts and butterscotch. It is medium bodied and dark brown in color with a thin tan, lingering head and a velvety, creamy mouthfeel. Euforia’s finish, roasty with just a hint of hops, and moderate 4.8% abv, make it a great after dinner or dessert drink."

Back