6 gallon better bottle - ok to use as secondary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowmax10

Reaction score
I want to use a couple of 6 gallon better bottles as primaries and secondaries - is this ok?

Or will the 6 gallon have to much head space to use as a secondary

And please i don't want to hear the whole argument about not using secondaries all over again

Thanks

Depends on how long it was in primary, and how long its gonna be in secondary. If its relatively young and will be giving off more co2, may not be a problem. If its been in primary a month, maybe not. Also, if you are planning on drinking it all in 3 months, dont worry about it. Oxidation makes long term stability problems. It wont be evident if you and your frat buddies will have it gone in 2 weeks.

i can always add a bit of corn sugar into the secondary to get some CO2

Do you keg? If so, and you are worried about it, give the bottle a squirt of gas.

When I secondary, I use a six gallon better bottle. The beer in the primary will usually have some CO2 in suspension that will tend to come out when racked.

Back