Vanilla Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acesb422

Reaction score
I was looking through one of these threads and read how someone made a cream ale and then right before the pitched their yeast they put vanilla flavor in it. I was wondering if anyone can give me any more info about how much and what the outcome was??? I think i want to try that for my 3rd batch.

I have read through most of that post and that sound like a very good brew that I will have to try. But here is what i was wanting to do. I want to try that cream ale kit from AHS, and mix some vanilla flavor with that. Basically a simple vanilla cream ale. Would that be possible?? Also, the vanilla flavor must be the extract correct? Is that like the regular vanilla that you can buy just about anywhere or is it different than that?? Also i was looking through that kit and which yeast would be better the White Labs California Ale or the Wyeast All American Ale?? Thanks for your input and thanks for the link, now I am just trying to narrow things down a little.

You want to use "Real Vanilla Extract", the ingredients are just vanilla from beans and alcohol and sometimes some sugar. Do not use imitation vanilla extract.
You would use 2 oz real vanilla extract added to primary before you pitch the yeast.
Then before bottling add 2 - 4 oz of vanilla to the bottling bucket.
The yeast will not make that much of a diffenance as they are also most the same just from 2 different companies.

If you just want the vanilla taste without the sweetness then just added the vanilla alone, if you are trying to make a sweet one you will have to add lactose.

Also, remember that "cream ale", the beer, doesn't taste the least bit creamy. It's a lager-like beer that usually is light and uses corn to thin the body. So a cream ale might not be what you actually have it mind if you are thinking sweet and vanilla.

A cream ale is very light bodied and dry. If you get Genessee Cream Ale where you live, that's a good example.

Well, I don't think that is what i want either. Maybe I will just hold off until i feel comfortable with the other brew and just make the straight cream ale. Thats a good brew isn't it???

Genesee Cream Ale? WOW you can get that in Michigan? Have you tried their Ice? We've done Genny Cream ale since high school (class of '71). Still goes over big at our re-unions.

Vernacular said:
Genesee Cream Ale? WOW you can get that in Michigan? Have you tried their Ice? We've done Genny Cream ale since high school (class of '71). Still goes over big at our re-unions.

Yep! Just recently showed up. Best part is I got a bunch of 24oz cans for a buck each at Kroger for those marathon drinking nights when I don't want to crack open my good stuff!

I grew up in Upstate NY, my first beer was a Genny that I snuck out of dad's fridge and was our go-to beer in high school.
Went YEARS without even thinking about it, saw some on a shelf out here in Texas a while back and got all weepy. Grabbed a sixer, took it home, did the happy dance while it chilled in the freezer, just imagining how good it would taste after all this time. Cracked an icy cold bottle, poured into a frozen mug, took a big hefty swig with a big smile...
and promptly gagged on the taste.

Amazing how taste buds change in 20 years, isnt it?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS We have those here too. Trouble is the stuff is so popular the local walk in cooler runs out of the Ice first. That spot on the shelf is near empty everytime I walk ing there.

All this talk makes me wanna brew a cream ale. how do they make "ice beer" anyways?

Back