Kegging Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I broke down and drove to the other LHBS to grab some parts so that I could carb up. We bought some line, a t-splitter and 2 lines out to the gas disconnects.

The problem - the nipple on my regulator is much larger than the ones on the disconnects, which means I can't put the hose on.

What the HELL?!? This keg stuff just is not going my way.
Aside from going back down there (45 minute drive, $4 in tolls + gas money) and getting a new shutoff valve in the correct dimensions (another $10).

Do they have stuff like this at home depot or something? What the hell ELSE can go wrong?

If you have a local gas distributor they should have all the fittings you need. Look for welding supply places.

Just how big are the barbs on regulator shutoffs? I know the disconnects are 1/4". You can get 1/4" hose on up to a 3/8 hose barb if you heat it in boiling water for a minute. I did it.

Bobby, you may be a genius.

I'm going to give this a try. If all else fails, I can go to the LHBS or a gas supplier tomorrow, however I really want to get started tonight so that I can be drinking by Friday.

Update - Bobby_M's boiling trick worked like a charm. Well, not quite as smooth, but a few minutes of boiling water, some needle nose pliars to open the hole a little, and a little elbow grease - it did the trick.

Now, to see if we can figure out how NOT to blow the kegs apart. :p

Thanks again Bobby!

Back