Mash 20 lbs, split to two equals OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griff777

Reaction score
I have a favorite english bitter recipe that uses ten pounds of grain/5gal batch. I have a ten gallon mash tun, so was thinking of mashing double the grain bill, and dividing the wort into two before boiling to make two batces with one mash. I would run off say four gallons, then gently stir and split it.
then four more, split and repeat once more to get two 6.5 pre boil worts. then, finish off with boil, hops, etc. Seem like it should work fine, and i think i will try two different yeasts(1098 and 1099) to see if i can taste any difference.

Anybody think this is a bad idea? suggestions? I know not to aerate wort while splitting, so I would siphon or be gentle, and stir to homogenize before splitting.

Sounds like a solid plan. I would not be overly concerned with HSA, hot side aeration. Siphoning seems like a hassle, perhaps a pitcher or a 4 qt pot to divvy it up would be easier IMO.

Back