Teflon Tape - Use it on gas fittings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitsPale

Reaction score
I have a big air compressor I use for working on the cars - all the fittings are teflon taped.

So I got to thinking...

I know you don't tape the actual threads on the CO2 bottle that you attach the regulator to, but what about the downstream fittings, such as check valves/shutoff valves? Teflon tape or no?

Andy

Any fitting where the threads are the seal, or any NPT fitting use the teflon tape. . If its a flare fitting you dont need it. Teflon tape lubricates, and seals.

Tophe said:
any fitting where the threads are the seal, or any NPT fitting use the teflon tape. . If its a flare fitting you dont need it. Teflon tape lubricates, and seals.

That's what I thought - I'll be sealing the threads tonight! Thanks.

Andy

I hate threads when the first responder is spot on. There is no room left to say anything else! :D :mug:

I would add that the first response had a second period after the word, "tape". I, of course, feel obligated to clarify this oversight.

olllllo said:
I would add that the first respose lacked a capital 'A' in his sentence. I, of course, feel obligated to clarify this oversight.

I dont know what you're talkiing about...:D

Tophe said:
Any fitting where the threads are the seal, or any NPT fitting use the teflon tape. . If its a flare fitting you dont need it.

I thought that too until I had a tank empty on me through a leak via a flare fitting that was just metal-on-metal. I put a plastic washer in there and it hasn't leaked since.

They make copper gaskets for flare fitting if it is just brass to brass, If you have a copper line that is flared with a flare nut, then you dont need one.

A flare fitting is designed to seal on the surface, not the threads. Thats why the threads aren't tapered. The tape may have helped seal it, but if you want to fix the leak properly, use a copper gasket.

Teflon tape-- such useful stuff.

Once a year swallow a lenght of it but dont' tear it off the roll till you've crapped out the end of it. Then grab firmly and move back and forth.

Ah, yes--- the old disgestive system flossing. Your proctologist will thank you!

I don't know if its the same thing or not but the teflon tape I used for my propane fittings was yellow. It is labeled as gas rated teflon tape. Also, I can never remember, do you wind the tape against the thread or with it???

in the direction of the twist. otherwise when you turn the fitting on, it will unwind the teflon. does that make sense?

easy way i do it, is i turn my fitting as i would putting it in place, and apply the teflon tape as i do it.

Back