Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting this recipe Yoop. I have read and studied this thread exhaustively. I have made a few minor adjustments to the recipe to suit my own tastes or for what was available locally. I plan on brewing this weekend

5.3 oz Rice Hulls (Briess) (0.0 SRM)
7 lbs 3.2 oz 2-row (Rahr) (1.8 SRM)
1 lbs 4.0 oz Quacker Quick Oats
1 lbs Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)
12.0 oz Toasted Light Amber(home) (30.0 SRM)
10.0 oz Pale Chocolate (180.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)
6.0 oz Black Prinz (500.0 SRM)
2.0 oz Black Barley (Briess) (500.0 SRM)
2.0 oz Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM)
1.5 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min ... 24.8 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)
1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [4.2 oz]
Mash at 155* for 60 minutes
Boil for 70 minutes

I added carapils as people stated the head retention was low.

The used "toasted light malt" in place of the flaked barley. It is in hopes of adding a slightly nutty flavor to the brew. I did myself at home...just 2 row in the oven at 350* for 30 minutes. Then cooled in paper bag for 3 weeks. It smelled like roasted peanuts!

I also tuned down the amount of black barley and added some blackprinz to make up for the color loss. That was in hopes of tuning down the coffee flavor just a wee bit.

I used Special B in place of the caramel malt to get a more pronounced caramel flavor. Also in hopes to get a slight raisin/prune flavor.

London ale will be used in hopes of getting some prune/plum flavors into the mix.

Okay, it's been in bottles for nearly 7 weeks. I had to have one! Flavor....good. Quite good. I'm not a stout person at all as they are so thick and reek of coffee. The adjustments I made make it more crisp drinking. The flavor has a slight chocolate flavor...not the usual bitter coffee with a touch of chocolate.

Very good recipe Yooper. Thank you very much for posting it.:rockin:

I am brewing this very soon. My LHBS sells a debitterized black which i am hoping will be good for the black barley. I dont want to get black patent. everything else on the list is a go. Im going with the wyeast british ale II

Going to do a 156 mash at 1.5 qt/ pound

Hopefully the pH will be right. I am sooooo still learning about water chemistry.
with all this dark grain I should be pretty close to my pH levels I hope.

I know it will turn out good. RDWHAHB i know

I used a rolling pin once and got 84%. Man was that messy

Just think, I didnt crush my own grain the good ol LHBS did that. I should have no issues consistently getting into the 80s if I get a mill.

I split my sparge into two additions which i didnt know to do before and I for the first time played a bit with water chemistry. I am very pleased with my progress as a brewer.

Getting ready to make this one today.

I guess my LHBS is better than many, no problem with any of the ingredients, and they have a good mill that i get great efficiency with. I decided to go with Denny's Favorite for the yeast, i have a huge starter going that i'm going to split, use half here, store the other half.

This makes for two of Yooper's recipies in a row, I made the broken leg amber about a month ago, and if i get a line assembled for the keezer in time, i may tap that keg and have a glass of it while i brew today. :)

Getting ready to make this one today.

I guess my LHBS is better than many, no problem with any of the ingredients, and they have a good mill that i get great efficiency with. I decided to go with Denny's Favorite for the yeast, i have a huge starter going that i'm going to split, use half here, store the other half.

This makes for two of Yooper's recipies in a row, I made the broken leg amber about a month ago, and if i get a line assembled for the keezer in time, i may tap that keg and have a glass of it while i brew today. :)

I think you'll really like the amber! It's a good one, I promise.

I've been thinking about making this again now that fall is here, but I haven't yet. I should get going on it!

Yooper said:
I think you'll really like the amber! It's a good one, I promise. I've been thinking about making this again now that fall is here, but I haven't yet. I should get going on it!

Oatmeal stout in the kettle, broken leg amber in the glass.

image-2504288797.jpg

Amber does need a little more time carbing still.

So I final go around to making this last weekend, it is bubbling away like a hot tub. In the firm chamber at 65deg, about the same temp out side. This beer really does smell good all the way through the brewing to glass process.

Cheers

Yooper, in his style profile column, Jamil Zainasheff suggests toasting the oats in the oven for a while to let them give off some nut and cookie character. What do you think ? Did you tried it ?

http://byo.com/component/k2/item/2815-oatmeal-stout-style-profile

BTW, I think I told you already on another thread, but that stuff is awesome.

I don't toast mine. I just never really thought I wanted a toasty oat flavor, and I just use the oats for the silky smooth mouthfeel and not to taste "oats".

OK I have a question, after reading this post over the last year or so, you say that your husband was holding, I think, Quaker Oats and asked you to make this again. Do you store oats in yours? It has been awhile since I read the thread in its entirety. I am thinking once mine is done of resetting this back onto the cake, the only reason I ask. Thanks

OK I have a question, after reading this post over the last year or so, you say that your husband was holding, I think, Quaker Oats and asked you to make this again. Do you store oats in yours? It has been awhile since I read the thread in its entirety. I am thinking once mine is done of resetting this back onto the cake, the only reason I ask. Thanks

I'm not sure what you're asking here, sorry!

I use Quaker quick oats in the mash.

Pitched my first batch of this about 1100 this morning. If it's like the rest of the Yooperbräu I've made, I'm sure it'll be great.

I'm cussing and spitting mad at myself right now. I just tapped a keg of this yesterday. It had been cold conditioning for a month and was SOOOOOO good. I had 1 glass out of the keg yesterday and closed the lid on the keezer. I just went out to get another glass of it and the entire keg is empty! My keezer is an oatmeal stout bathtub! I was careless with where the picnic tap handle was placed and when I closed the lid it opened the tap. It drained my CO2 bottle as well but I"m much more angry about the stout! :mad:

I'm cussing and spitting mad at myself right now. I just tapped a keg of this yesterday. It had been cold conditioning for a month and was SOOOOOO good. I had 1 glass out of the keg yesterday and closed the lid on the keezer. I just went out to get another glass of it and the entire keg is empty! My keezer is an oatmeal stout bathtub! I was careless with where the picnic tap handle was placed and when I closed the lid it opened the tap. It drained my CO2 bottle as well but I"m much more angry about the stout! :mad:

Oh, that's just stinks! Sorry for your loss. :(

Are all the grains in the original recipe crushed or just the base grains?

Also, has anything finalized re the yeast? I notice you started with 1335 and then went to 1450. Do you prefer one over the other..? I think I like the idea of the 1450.. per your description.. but, I've never used either.. just SO4.. and I didn't really care for that.. possibly cuz I may have done something else that caused it not to be to my liking.

Anyhow.. thanks for sharing your recipe..

I'd like to try a 1G batch as a starter.. then a 3G batch as a regular... (Please don't ask about 1G batches.. been thru that before :) )

Are all the grains in the original recipe crushed or just the base grains?

Also, has anything finalized re the yeast? I notice you started with 1335 and then went to 1450. Do you prefer one over the other..? I think I like the idea of the 1450.. per your description.. but, I've never used either.. just SO4.. and I didn't really care for that.. possibly cuz I may have done something else that caused it not to be to my liking.

Anyhow.. thanks for sharing your recipe..

I'd like to try a 1G batch as a starter.. then a 3G batch as a regular... (Please don't ask about 1G batches.. been thru that before :) )

Always crush all grains, no matter what the recipe.

I love both of those yeast strains with this recipe, so I go back and forth between them, depending on what I have available. The 1450 has a really "luscious" mouthfeel, and I love that. But the 1335 is clean and rich, so it's really just a matter of preference.

I just brewed this last week and sampled it tonight. Awesome recipe Yooper!! Me and the wife loved it. It's the best of the three Oatmeal Stouts I've brewed. Thanks for sharing it with us!

FlyDoctor said:
Is doesn't really matter does it?

Would the only downside be a possible stuck sparge? Seems like it might goop up a bit more bring crushed.

Just brewed this up and halfway into the boil I looked at the reciept and noticed that there was no black barley on it. I thought this was a little lighter than it should have been. What affects is this going to have and what can I do at this point (now fermenting). What does the black barley lend to this beer and is there anyway to get somewhat of a resemblence of the black barley such as adding brewed coffee after fermentiation? I am somewhat disappointed and looking foreward to this beer and think that it will still turn out ok. I just want to know if there is a way to improve it at this point.

Just brewed this up and halfway into the boil I looked at the reciept and noticed that there was no black barley on it. I thought this was a little lighter than it should have been. What affects is this going to have and what can I do at this point (now fermenting). What does the black barley lend to this beer and is there anyway to get somewhat of a resemblence of the black barley such as adding brewed coffee after fermentiation? I am somewhat disappointed and looking foreward to this beer and think that it will still turn out ok. I just want to know if there is a way to improve it at this point.

Without the black barley, it won't have the roasty "stout" flavor. It'd be more of a brown ale, or maybe a brown porter, in flavor.

PastorofMuppets said:
flaked means they are already flat and have surface area exposed to be properly mashed, so no need for extra crushing

That I know, but is there harm in crushing them...more? I do BIAB - so no concern re stuck sparge. I can't see why it would be harmful.

FlyDoctor said:
That I know, but is there harm in crushing them...more? I do BIAB - so no concern re stuck sparge. I can't see why it would be harmful.

It wont cause any harm at all. If u were using large quatities and doing all-grain, yes, there might be a concern of stuck mash.

Thanks Yooper for the feedback. I think I will add some good coffee beans and let it set in the secondary for a day or two. A new first for me.

I am ready to rack to keg today. Beer finished at 1.020 which seems to be on target.
Very smooth and velvety mouthfeel. A hint of roasty but not overpowering, same with coffee and chocolate flavors.
I am danged excited to get this on tap. What volume level are you carbing these at normally?

I am ready to rack to keg today. Beer finished at 1.020 which seems to be on target.
Very smooth and velvety mouthfeel. A hint of roasty but not overpowering, same with coffee and chocolate flavors.
I am danged excited to get this on tap. What volume level are you carbing these at normally?

My kegerator is set at 12 psi at 40 degrees- that must be about 2.4 or 2.5 volumes?

I brewed a slight variation of this last night. I added 2 cans of pumpkin that was previously roasted with brown sugar and pie spice. I also added the dark grains at vorlauf, as I do with all of my stouts & porters. Before adding the dark grain, the mash smelled like oatmeal cookies.

kegged this beer last week, still just really good beer. So I set another go round on top of the cake and it is in the Firm @ 64 right now.

Back