building a kegerator or buying one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackls1ttop

Reaction score
hello, just joined the forum, been browsing through the forum, lots of great threads. currently we are building a outdoor bar/bbq area in our backyard and now is the chance to install a Keg dispenser, i have been looking at the cheap kegerator $370 dispenser walmart sells, there is mixed reviews about it,i have absolutely no idea what the keg dispenser needs for it to work, i was wondering if it would be a better idea that i build one rather then buy the $370 one? i will spend up to or around the $400 range to have a nice dispenser. what all do i need to build a kegerator besides the fridge? if the ready unit walmart sells is ok then i would purchase that rather then building one. thanks guys

Let see you can buy a 4.4 cu ft. Frigidaire or 5 cu ft. Avanti Keezer for around $170 new.

With this premium tower kit from keg connection:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=467

You'd be looking at around $500 for a completed kegerator that will likely outlast any Walmart POS. Or you could put two taps through the door and save around $100.

Freezer or fridge off Craig's List and hardware online and you can set one up for a lot cheaper than the little thing you'd get from Walmart. Are you looking for commercial beer dispensing or are you a homebrewer?

just going to use it for home, i only need a single tap. but it must be able to fit a 15.5 size keg. can the co2 tank be mounted outside kegerator?

ok forget the cheap walmart POS, i narrowed it down between the Danby DKC645BLS
or the Haier HBF05EBSS which one is better?

I work at a place that sells both I like the danby. Just bought a 7 cu foot chest freezer for 180 and a $10 mail in rebate. Would hold one fullsize keg and co2. Also give you extra counter space. It looks like my conversion will end up costing me 500. I am doing a 3 tap you do a single out the top it would save. You 100 bucks. You also get energy star. Craigslist fridge/freezer I doubt it.

im just going to make a poll for the danby and haier and the one with the most votes i will buy.

Check the reviews on Home Brew Talk, at least for the Danby. Couldn't find any reviews for the Haier but I'm sure if you hunt a little more. Sounds like there are some cheap parts on it but that it works pretty well out of the box.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f140/danby-dkc645bls-119303/

I built one with an old full size fridge so can't be of much help on the decision.

Back