New to Kegging. Got some ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random_Guy

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have been on this site for a little while, but I am brand new to kegging. I have some questions I hope you all can answer. They are pretty n00bish so please bear with me. I apologize if these have been answered in other threads. I looked through the sticky and although there is a lot of good info there, I couldn't find what I was looking for. Anyways, here it goes....

1. I need a crash course in regulators. I got the house one from Keg Connections in the kit they offered. I need some clarification on how the check valve works. If it is to each extreme side it is shut of? When it is in the middle it is on?

2. If I wanted to get an air distributor to get a 2nd keg in am I stuck with one operating pressure for both the kegs or are the check valves also able to limit the psi going to the tanks?

Thanks guys for the help! This site rocks!!! :rockin:

Hey Guy,

1) check valves prevent the back flow of air/fluid into a system (first example I found). not sure about the position part of your question.

Check_Valve_Diagram.jpg

2) to have two separate working pressures off one tank you need a dual regulator. or you need a second tank and regulator.

Thanks for the response. That is what I figured for the distributor thanks!!

Now how does that all work in relation to the lever that is a part of the check valve? Or is this not what I am thinking about?

If you're asking about the half turn flow valves, then your assumption is correct. When the handle is a either side (all the way right or all the way left) the gas is off. When the handle is halfway the gas is on.

You'll need two low pressure regulators to allow two separate pressures. You can have as many kegs as you like downstream from each regulator, it depends on how your manifold is designed.

Good Luck...

How many people use these check valves? I haven't installed any yet and I am thinking I need to install one/some

Ok thanks. Now am I correct in saying that once you have, say 20 psi going into the tank and you want to change it to 10 psi you have to shut it off, bleed whats in the keg turn the screw out almost all the way, turn on the gas and turn the screw till you get 10psi?

To clarify your question. If you have twenty pounds of CO2 going into the "keg" from the CO2 tank and you want to drop the pressure of the keg you adjust the regulator that feeds that keg(s). Turn the pressure screw counter clockwise to drop the pressure, you can watch the gauge as you bleed off CO2.
The keg will need to be purged of excess CO2 to reduce pressure. You can serve beer, or vent the pressure relief valve. You might have to do this more than once.
It's pretty straightforward when you get everything set up.
Good Luck...

Gaudet: Not to put too fine of a point on this thread, but to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Most systems have check valves at the manifold or at the regulator. Most flow valves come with a built in check valve but some don't. If you're using flow valves from your hardware store that are used for compressed air systems, then there won't be a check valve. If you order from an online brew supply shop then there is probably a check valve built in. But you can find them both ways.

The check valve allows gas or liquid to only flow one direction. This keeps beer out of your regulator, and also keeps beer from crossing over from one keg to another if there's a pressure differential. This depends on how you've designed your system.

Good Luck...

Back