barley wine when to keg???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildcatgrad7

Reaction score
HELLO quick question for all you brewmasters out there. I am brewing my 3rd batch a strong ale barley wine used 12 lbs of liquid extract and a pound of belgian rock sugar. I used whitelabs ale yeast and it seems fermentation is almost done maybe a few more days...it has already been bubbling for 6 days straight this stuff is gonna be powerful!!!! now for my question....

HOW LONG SHOULD I LET IT WAIT IN THE PRIMARY AFTER FERMENTATION BEFORE I KEG IT AND ARTIFICIALLY CARBONATE IT??????? :mug: :mug: :mug: NOT GOING TO USE A SECONDARY(IS THIS A BAD IDEA)

Barleywines can take 1-3 months to finish fermenting & 6-12 months of aging are a good idea before drinking. Barleywines are about the ONLY ales where I use a secondary, largely because of the very long fermentations and I like to add a high gravity yeast to finish them, so I get it off the trub of the first yeast.

i was told a month and a half before i could keg....i am very impatient...will my beer taste bad if i dont wait a long time???

Yes, barleywine are really harsh because of the high ABV. If you can't wait, don't make meads or barleywine.

david_42 said:
Yes, barleywine are really harsh because of the high ABV. If you can't wait, don't make meads or barleywine.

my last batch of mead was great after 2 years... :eek:

Back