Centennial Blonde Recipe Screw up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newrbrewer

Reaction score
When I picked up the specialty grains for this the other day and realized (too late) that I doubled the amounts for a 10 gallon batch (2 # Vienna, 2.5 # Cara-pils, 2 # C-10). The grains are uncruhsed but are all mixed in 1 bag. So...I was thinking of reducing the base malt (MO) by 2# to make up for it. I know this will now be a different beer but will it be significantly different with all those specialty grains? (I'm worried about the 2.5 # Cara-Pils) Any other suggestions? Thanks.

I wouldn't do that. That's way too much crystal in a 5 gallon batch. What you could do is mix up the grains thoroughly and use half. That would get you close, and then you have the specialty grains for the next batch already also!

I wouldn't do that. That's way too much crystal in a 5 gallon batch. What you could do is mix up the grains thoroughly and use half. That would get you close, and then you have the specialty grains for the next batch already also!

I'm actually doing a 11 gallon batch.
So for 11 gallons it would be about 12# marris otter and then the grain amounts that I have listed.
:mug:

How about using all of the grains and doing an Imperial Centennial Blonde Ale? That would be a pretty interesting experiment. I think ska brewing company has a double blonde ale that they put in bombers.

Another thing you could do is some kind of partigyle session. Use all of the grains, take the first half of the runnings and make a high gravity wort. You could always add steeped grains to change color and flavor for that one. The 2nd half of the runnings would be close to the original specs for the Centennial Blonde.

How about using all of the grains and doing an Imperial Centennial Blonde Ale? That would be a pretty interesting experiment. I think ska brewing company has a double blonde ale that they put in bombers.

Another thing you could do is some kind of partigyle session. Use all of the grains, take the first half of the runnings and make a high gravity wort. You could always add steeped grains to change color and flavor for that one. The 2nd half of the runnings would be close to the original specs for the Centennial Blonde.

I think I'm just going to brew it as is and see what happens. I have never used that much Cara-pils before so I was a bit concerned. I'll post how it turns out....stay tuned. Thanks.:mug:

Back