Over shot my OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMS79

Reaction score
Today I brewed a pale ale. My post boil gravity is reading 1.080. I was shooting for about 1.054-56. I rounded up the grain bill slightly but didn't. Expect this big of a jump. What can I do to lower the gravity? Can I add water and split to two fermenters?

Before you do anything, post your actual numbers and process. It is pretty much impossible to overshoot your gravity by over 50%.

14.5 # 2 row

1.5 # crystal 60

I brewed in a bag starting with 8.5 gallons. Mashed in at 162 for an hour it held about 154. Post boil was about 6 gallons.

I really have no clue where I went wrong.

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong except you were expecting about 55% efficiency and got about 82% instead (if your post boil volume measurement is correct). 55% is pretty low, what were you basing that on?

chickypad said:
It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong except you were expecting about 55% efficiency and got about 82% instead (if your post boil volume measurement is correct). 55% is pretty low, what were you basing that on?

I really wasn't. I left my computer behind and went ahead with a recipe without getting the numbers crunched.

Where is a good baseline to set the efficiency in beersmith? Should I start around 70%?

You would want to set it at what you typically get on your system, and if your volumes and measurements are right you just got over 80%. If you've done other batches with the same method I would crunch the numbers and see if that's reproducible, then set your expected efficiency accordingly.

I don't find 82% to be that high. Based on the calculations that Hopville.com's recipe calculator produces for my brews, I get usually get between 80 and 86% for brews based mainly on British pale malt, mashing at 66-68C for 1.5-2 hrs, and 75% or a bit more if there is a good proportion of other stuff like oat flakes or roasted malts. I also use a grain bag, mashing in a boiler. My OG is always higher than the calculator estimates for the recipe. I haven't actually calulated the amount empirically myself though. 55% would be very low indeed. From your description I would expect 82% or thereabouts, sounds fine to me.

I just fed your grain bill (based on 7 1/2 lbs Great Western Premium 2-Row Malt and 1 1/2 lbs American Crystal 60L) into hopville.com's beer calculus and it estimates it would take 89% efficiency to get an OG of 1.080, which really does sound very high. Clearly it is calculating differently from the one you use!

Back