What are your efficiency numbers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanecb

Reaction score
Just thought it would be nice for comparison purposes. Post some info about your rig/procedure just to see where the number are coming from.

I'm averaging a 75% mash efficiency at the moment. Using a 5gal converted igloo cooler for my tun, and typically do 2 rounds of batch sparging to get to my boil volume (about 7gal for a 60min boil). I like to do a mashout when I have the room, but with only a 5gal tun this isn't possible unless making a recipe with an OG in the lower range because of the grains.

My efficiency into the fermenter really seems to vary. Yesterday I had 64% into the fermenter, but before that it was about 80%. I use a 7.5 gal turkey fryer to boil on my gas stove (takes awhile to get going, but boils alright once it does).

I get 80 to 85% out of the tun, my brewhouse efficiency changes with the beer though as low as 72% for my IPA and up to 80% for simple beers.

I get about 75% out of a Coleman Polylite 2 gallon Beverage cooler lined with a nylon paint strainer bag. I have to batch sparge 3 times to get that number, and I have no space for step mashing or mashout (unless I do Decoctions, I like Decoctions) But for a 3 gallon batch it gives me an alright O.G. with 4 pounds of grain.

I hope to move up to a 3 gallon Tun someday. And mabey a 5 for really big stuff!

I have been using a 5 gallon round cooler batch sparging twice. I set my calculations at 70% and hit my numbers almost without fail.
However, I just fabbed a keggle and got a 54 quart cooler so I can make bigger 5 gallon batches and even some 10 gallon. I look forward to seeing what this system will yield.

I'm still trying to figure out my overall effeciency. My first AG-batch I got only like 63%, my next two I got 80% on both, and I've hit 68% 73% 68% on the three since then. I think the grains I get from my LHBS have a bad crush or something; I always get better extract on the grains I order from Northern Brewer. I batch sparge twice and usually mash for 90 minutes, though on my last brew I only did 60. I didn't do a mash-out on my two 80% brews, but I've tried doing it since. I don't know if/how that would effect my numbers.

edit: That's all into-the-fermenter effeciency, by the way.

I'm going w/80%. That's technically just the extraction efficiency I think. I plug 80% into Beersmith and my preboil volumes and SG is right on. I did my first few batches at the default 75% and I things worked out OK. I replaced my stainless screen with a copper manifold and all of a sudden my beers started a get stronger. I plugged the 80% into Beersmith, and everything seems to be turning out consistently.

I do batch sparging with a 36 quart Coleman Extreme. I'm currently averaging just better than 75%, but that was after I adjusted my hbs grinder to its finest setting. With the "average" setting, I was getting 65%.

I do about 75% on 2row 80% on wheat (I grind finer?) and 90ish% on extended mashes (12ish hours to facilitate schedule)

I am grinding with a pasta mill, mashing in a 10 gallon with a false bottom. Equal volume mash and sparge, batch sparging.

10 gallon bathes seem to be more consistent than 5, which are harder to nail temps and numbers. I love brewing 10 gallons, as it seems to just nail it on my system every time.

Slightly off topic, but I recently listened to a Brewstrong episode where Jamil and John said the best tasting worts they get are from 70-75% efficiency mashes. The reasoning was that 80+% mashes start to get husk materials and other undesirables that add off flavors.

Just found it interesting that they don't shoot for the highest efficiencies ever.

Slightly off topic, but I recently listened to a Brewstrong episode where Jamil and John said the best tasting worts they get are from 70-75% efficiency mashes. The reasoning was that 80+% mashes start to get husk materials and other undesirables that add off flavors.

Just found it interesting that they don't shoot for the highest efficiencies ever.

I'm not sure that I agree with them. I certainly do believe that their recipes and process were tailored to produce the best results on their systems, so are 'tuned' for best results at this level of efficiency. But that's not the same as saying the 70-75% efficiency is the 'best' efficiency for all beers across the board, period. Many pro brewers get much higher efficiencies than that, and produce excellent beers. It's greatly dependent on the individual practices and equipment, and anecdotal evidence from a couple of (admittedly expert) brewers is not enough to draw that sort of conclusion

Efficiency always seams to turn into a penis size contest. But in truth, consistency is much more important then getting the highest % possible.

But the idea that a lower efficiency avoids husky taste is not always accurate. It's a bit more complicated. You need to consider mash efficiency VS lauter efficiency. If you have crappy mash efficiency and then do a crappy job with the sparge, you can have ****ty efficiency AND extract those husky tannins.

I'm not sure that I agree with them. I certainly do believe that their recipes and process were tailored to produce the best results on their systems, so are 'tuned' for best results at this level of efficiency. But that's not the same as saying the 70-75% efficiency is the 'best' efficiency for all beers across the board, period. Many pro brewers get much higher efficiencies than that, and produce excellent beers. It's greatly dependent on the individual practices and equipment, and anecdotal evidence from a couple of (admittedly expert) brewers is not enough to draw that sort of conclusion
It prob varies from system-to-system and process-to-process. Tasty McDole allegedly makes consistently really good stuff and his eff is self-admittedly pretty low (can't remember the number but IIRC it's <75%). I'm not sure we can compare pro systems to most homebrew systems (and processes).

FWIW, I get ~77-78% but have been considering sparging even less to lower it a bit. With pros, efficiency = money (as long as the product is not compromised) but with me at least, another pound (usually less) of grain at ~$1/lb is no big deal.

It prob varies from system-to-system and process-to-process. Tasty McDole allegedly makes consistently really good stuff and his eff is self-admittedly pretty low (can't remember the number but IIRC it's <75%). I'm not sure we can compare pro systems to most homebrew systems (and processes).

FWIW, I get ~77-78% but have been considering sparging even less to lower it a bit. With pros, efficiency = money (as long as the product is not compromised) but with me at least, another pound (usually less) of grain at ~$1/lb is no big deal.

I agree, pro systems are probably not going to give similar results to homebrew systems. Even so, it certainly indicates that there are more factors affecting beer quality than efficiency.

Efficiency always seams to turn into a penis size contest. But in truth, consistency is much more important then getting the highest % possible.

Amen. Once you have 70+% efficiency focus on consistency and other issues rather than eeking out another point or two of gravity. Grain is cheap!

GT

I was getting in the low to mid 60's, but I think my mash temp was on the low side and I fly sparged. I plan to keep better records of the mash temp and pre heat my cooler, plus I plan to do a double batch sparge. Regardless, all beer has been good even if I didn't hit my OG.

First AG i got 71%, second batch was 63%. The first was a kit from Midwest, the second was crushed at my LHBS. I think the Midwest grains were milled better is what lead to better efficiency in that batch.

used to get high 60s into fermenter but then changed out braid for a braid 2x in size and slowed the sparge down to almost a trickle and double crush on my own mill set at 40 thousands. now the past 3 or 4 i have gotten 81-83 into the fermenter with no off flavors or anything. this is all in a 36qt coleman xtreme cooler and 15 gallon aluminum pot. I do 5 gallon batches around 1.05xx-1.06xx any larger and I will be outta cooler room.

About 80% into the fermenter. Used to be 85% with a 5g Rubbermaid instead of 10g (which I use now), and yes, I have had tannin problems before I learned to acidify the sparge water, and to stop the sparge before the gravity got too low (fly sparging).

-a.

so far with 3 batches under my belt with my current set up, 48 quart cooler and batch sparging, I'm averaging about 80%

used to get high 60s into fermenter but then changed out braid for a braid 2x in size and slowed the sparge down to almost a trickle and double crush on my own mill set at 40 thousands. now the past 3 or 4 i have gotten 81-83 into the fermenter with no off flavors or anything. this is all in a 36qt coleman xtreme cooler and 15 gallon aluminum pot. I do 5 gallon batches around 1.05xx-1.06xx any larger and I will be outta cooler room.

I'd be willing to bet ya a beer that it was the crush that did it and not the rest of the stuff.

And I'm sure you can confirm that you're not getting "off flavors" because of about 70-75% efficiency, correct Denny? :D

Absolutely no off flavors due to my efficiency. Mainly due to the fact that I get great conversion efficiency, which means that I don't have to over lauter to get great brewhouse efficiency.

I average about 75% efficiency doing just a 60 minute single batch sparge in a 10 gallon round Igloo cooler.

your on denny. it was my crush same mill for about 3 batches be4 that... i can email you my addy to send the beer too. ha ha all in good fun but i honestly dont know what it could be i changed so much at 1 time.

i double batch sparge with a 10 gallon igloo cooler with SS braid. my average is about 80%, highest being 87%, lowest being 73% (i tested a single batch sparge). im only about 8 brews in with all grain, but feel i have the process down pretty well.

I am currently using 82% for calculating recipes. I just got 92% with a cream Ale. Then followed that up with 80% for a English special bitter. The 92% was my best yet but aside from my disaster on day 1 I have gotten in the 80's every time.

I have a 5 gallon round beverage cooler. Braid in the bottom. I consistently hit my temps and I am OCD about holding temps and stirring out hot spots every 15 to 20 minutes.

Back