Slow Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wind River

Reaction score
I was going to brew an Oktoberfest ale yesterday (Wednesday) but the yeast starter I pitched Tuesday night seemed to be dead in the water yesterday afternoon so I gave up on the idea. (It was the White Labs German Ale/Kolsch strain, btw.)

After reading a few threads on this board, I decided to wrap a towel around the flask and within 3 hours I was getting great activity (but, by that time, it was too late to start brewing).

Now I am looking toward a brew day on Saturday (3 days away) and I am wondering what I should do with the starter. It's still bubbling away happily this morning. I just don't have any experience with using the yeast over a day after I make my starter.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

When you no longer see activity put it in the fridge, the yeast will settle out, right before you are ready to pitch the yeast, pour off most of the liquid, leave just enough to swirl the yeast back into suspension, then pitch in the beer, you will be fine, it is done this way all the time, good luck and brew on bro:mug:

Just an update...

Chilled the starter for a day, brewed on Saturday afternoon, decanted the liquid off the starter, pitched the yeast and looked upwards to the Beer Gods.

Got up the next morning, checked the airlock (with one eye closed) and was pleasantly surprised to see it perking away. Here it is three days later and it is still perking strong (with the sulpher smell that is apparently common to the Kolsch strain). Needless to say, I'm thrilled. Looking forward to a good Oktoberfest ale!

Thanks to all who responded to my question. Ya learn something new each and every brew!

Back